• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frodo = My Hero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Y'all know Frodo Baggins, right?

He just became my personal hero.

Due to his careful, patient and thorough explanation of the mathematical jiggerypokery called the ''T-Test'', i managed to score a 80/100 on my last mathematics test this year. Quite the personal conquest considering that with my discalculia i always struggled to get anything higher then a 50/100.

Frodo, thank you!

See? Anybody with a little bit a patience and effort can score big. I hope you take this as a sign and keep your standards just as high for your future studies. And yes, I did expect you to score quite well considering you were preparing well ahead of the test date.

But jesus, I saw your avatar before I read your post and lept to several ill thought out conclusions...

Some kind statistical analysis comparing two sets of data which i have gladly forgotten to leave to people like Sjaak and Frodo.

On a side note, WOW! the very hungry caterpillar!!!

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_test

A test of the null hypothesis that the means of two normally distributed populations are equal. Given two data sets, each characterized by its mean, standard deviation and number of data points, we can use some kind of t test to determine whether the means are distinct, provided that the underlying distributions can be assumed to be normal. All such tests are usually called Student's t tests, though strictly speaking that name should only be used if the variances of the two populations are also assumed to be equal; the form of the test used when this assumption is dropped is sometimes called Welch's t test.

Frodo Baggins said:
But jesus, I saw your avatar before I read your post and lept to several ill thought out conclusions...

Just be glad we're on the Internet here ;)

:D :D :D

Sjaak said:
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_test

A test of the null hypothesis that the means of two normally distributed populations are equal. Given two data sets, each characterized by its mean, standard deviation and number of data points, we can use some kind of t test to determine whether the means are distinct, provided that the underlying distributions can be assumed to be normal. All such tests are usually called Student's t tests, though strictly speaking that name should only be used if the variances of the two populations are also assumed to be equal; the form of the test used when this assumption is dropped is sometimes called Welch's t test.
I read what you typed before clicking on the link and I thought to myself, "Damn, Sjaack really knows what he's talking about." :)

Then, I clicked on the link and realized you were copying/pasting... for a second I thought that link was an article or example of t-test and what you typed was your summary of it to us... and to think that Sjaack can write like that!!! :D

Well, I'm glad that you're excited on your achievement. Good work.

Im not certain if I should congratulate you on your test score or your new found love of maths and Frodo :D

Seriously though Frodo its nice to see threads such as this, it give me a little more faith in human nature... Credit where its due and you deserve the praise

Well, USM, as far as i know i'm not the only one here who he's helped with mathematics. So a 'thank you' would be in place, hence my post.

Well of course it's nice. I tutor quite a few people and have done so for a long time. And it's always a joy [albeit a rare joy] to see someone work so hard and get excited when they surpass their expectations. That's what life is all about, after all.

yup frodo helped me two years ago with my physics, and I believe it was either Besel Functions or some other type of mathematical series. Great guy here

Back