• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mushkin expectations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greyharte

okies i have mushkin pc3200 basic (green) x2 (have 1 more not installed)
pn: mdgmu5f3h41x0d1e02
sn: 426f3h4ss
chip: 20426/mud8608a8a-5b
currently running at:180.0mhz, cpu/14, 2.5-3-3-8-11 2t 16clks (per cpu-z)

rest of my system is in my sig

what chip are they? okies was able to determine that these are micron -5b's, assuming rev c

what can i push these to and keep 'em stable?

i guess i should add ive had em over a year have never really oc'ed them as yet

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure they'll become unstable before they crap out on you.

give em some tighter tighting at stock volts/speeds and see what they can do. get a baseline bench at those speeds and then up the speed a bit with some volts.

see what they do afterwards. then you could try some relaxed at stock volts with higher speeds and see what they do then.

okies thanks for the reply ... now the part i havent figured out is tighter vs looser timmings ... can someone explain this to me please

okies, thank you ...

can you give me an example based off current settings of 2.5-3-3-8, what would be considered looser vs tighter?

When numbers goes lower it means tighter and vice versa, example:
2-2-2-5 would be faster than 2.5-3-3-8 and 2.5-3-3-8 would be faster than 3-4-4-8.

okies now more noob questions:

how does loosening the timmings give you better clock speeds and is there a formula to determine which timmings to loosen and which not?

loosening the timmings is like essentially running the ram at slower timmings.

the timmings means "per clock" so if you have a cas of 4, that means its function is running at every 4 clocks.

you loosen the timmings you can run higher overall mgz because your functions are running as fast.

there's a tradeoff between tight timmins and fast bus speeds.

read this:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=257741

it should help.

as for which timmings you should change first. the above link should help determine that but its general consensus that there's isn't a specific proven way to overclock a system. ppl have their ways of doing it and you have to find your own.

however, i would think that changing timming that is dependent most on the fsb would be best to change first.

trp-trcd will give you non critical errors before cas will.

cas will just not work if its too low.

tras you might get system hangups/and or errors.

hmmm i think im gonna have to look at upgrading my ram before i can take this any higher ... ANY tweek i attempt to my ramtimmings results in boot failures ... what i have has served me well ... but ... seems to be pretty hard locked and doesnt want to be forced to anything else ...

also kinda confused muskin site lists timings for p/n 991093 at 3-3-3-8 yet my particular set spd timings are showing 2.5-3-3-8

when i try to change ANY timings directly my system wont boot

havent done any vmodding
and right now not even positive that 285x9 will be stable hasnt been in the past best stable setting was 280x9

system in sig

hey zebbo do you guys by chance offer an upgrade program?? i have the 991093 x3 only using 2 currently (couldnt post on muskin site kept getting sql errors)

Last edited:
greyharte said:
hmmm i think im gonna have to look at upgrading my ram before i can take this any higher ... ANY tweek i attempt to my ramtimmings results in boot failures ... what i have has served me well ... but ... seems to be pretty hard locked and doesnt want to be forced to anything else ...

also kinda confused muskin site lists timings for p/n 991093 at 3-3-3-8 yet my particular set spd timings are showing 2.5-3-3-8

when i try to change ANY timings directly my system wont boot

havent done any vmodding
and right now not even positive that 285x9 will be stable hasnt been in the past best stable setting was 280x9

system in sig

hey zebbo do you guys by chance offer an upgrade program?? i have the 991093 x3 only using 2 currently (couldnt post on muskin site kept getting sql errors)

We dont have trade-in policy currently but we sometimes offer changes for certain products, PM me please.

pm sent

btw as suspected had to take my machine back down to 280 ... had difficulties trying to boot this morning

i also find it strange if i push ram fsb to 166 get a windows corrupted file message ... if i push to 200 wont boot at all

Last edited:
Back