• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can the edge of a stick of RAM touch wood while running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I'm making a small mini-ITX case out of wood, and it is much more cramped than I had expected. Everything can stay in place without glue, and I'm starting to get worried about cooling.

Because it's so cramped, the edge of the RAM opposite the edge that touches the motherboard the will almost touch the other side of the case. Is it a problem if the RAM touches the wooden case while the computer is running?

soulfly1448 said:
No. Just for safety's sake, you should try to sand off some of the wood where the module will hit.

I already did, but the RAM is still really close. Does anyone know for sure whether there will be any problems?

As long as it's not putting much pressure on, I don't see how there could be a problem....

Wood isn't conductive (last time I checked anyway) and there is no current flowing over the edges of the RAM. I'm pretty sure you should be fine.

I don't think he's worried about a short. I think he's worried about it catching on fire. I don't think you'll have a problem, but some elmer's glue where they touch will prevent any problems.

Captain Helghas said:
I don't think he's worried about a short. I think he's worried about it catching on fire. I don't think you'll have a problem, but some elmer's glue where they touch will prevent any problems.
I am mostly worried about a short, actually. I'm sorry that my introduction about my mod made it unclear.

Back