• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Or RDRAM??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

Guys which ram is faster ddr or rdram?? And which gives you more performance for you money? and one more thing is ecc ddr ram better then unbuffered, cause i ordered 512mb (2 x 256) pc2100 crucial ram and i got the registered ECC one, is that the best type, or is unbuffered; non-paroity good?????

you can't compare DDR and RDRAM

first, DDR is just the old bus system double pipelined

that still means, info that travels accross the bus still has to reach its destination point before anything else can be sent on that bus

RDRAM is different though.

you can kind of think of RDRAM as being Full Duplex

you have a FSB thats 100mhz x 4 = 400mhz (quad pumped)
and the same for the BSB 100mhz x 4 = 400mhz (quad pumped)

new technology, not really, its just a fancy name for multiplexing.

What does make RDRAM faster is that it does have its own RAMBUS, and you can transfer data simultaneously,

my point is, that neither RDRAM or DDR is anything special, but those company's slap on a fancy name and up the price without really doing much of anything

grant it its faster and better than what it was before but

"the real difference is when we can start seeing holo-graphic memory"

just my opinion

if you are debating over a P4 DDR board and a P4 RDRAM board,

you should go with the RDRAM chipset.

If you can afford a P4, then you should be able to afford Rambus,

if not, go with a athlon chip and DDR, they perform good with DDR

you will compromise performance with P4 and DDR

DDR...RDRAM is a bit faster but you need a P4 system...and expensive RDRAM...the cost is prohibitive, especially when you are compromising the system with a crap CPU (P4)...if RAMBUS got with an AMD proc then I'd be in heaven...but for now, go with a cheaper, faster system, go AMD & DDR

Back