• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something I've never tried to do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kibokun

I've never tried to use slower ram (PC2700) on a mobo that is designed for faster (PC3200). My last mobo upgrade was from SDR to DDR so there was no way possible and I didn't try. XD I don't want to buy another gig of RAM after I just bought a gig of PC2700 because i"m buying an SLI mobo. : / Would my PC2700 sticks work fine?

Yes, it'll work but you may need to run them at under 200MHz if they will not overclock to PC3200 speeds.

Sometimes you can have problems with using a divider on cheap motherboards. Considering you are getting/have an SLI motherboard, I'm going to go ahead and presume that you paid for quality. In that event, the SPD should use a divider to get them at their rated speeds. If not, you may have to do so manually.

If its a bad motherboard it might give you problems as stated above but not all cheap motherboards are bad.
Do some homework on that but in general it should work.

I guess I’ll just buy a good mobo despite SLI or not. Do you guys have any adive for good Mobo’s these days? I was looking at Newegg, but it seems the only ones with huge amounts of reviews and backing and satisfied customers are all the SLI boards. (One has like almost a thousand happy reviews over 4 stars. ><) I haven’t been keeping up with the times since I did my last overhaul, lol. So, in short, do you know of any good, well made non-SLI boards or some SLI boards with more than just 2 PCI slots? I’m assuming DX10 and Vista wont make more crap than just requiring a DX10 compatible card and I could still use a current gen SLI board. Thanks in advance.

Back