• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

620MHz 3-3-3-9 on VIA...if you guys thought Bad Axe was weird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
This is truly very very weird, and I have no idea what to think of it. Board is a cheap *** $58 VIA-based Asrock.

I guess technically this is the WR...:confused:

memory-3101.JPG

Validation

Now possibly this isn't correct. It's been a while since I've used Merom and this is one of my first days with Conroe, decide for yourself, here's a PI time. The way I see it, if the Bad Axe guys can claim it...

weird.JPG

The kicker is I have no idea what the vdimm is. I have three options; "Low", "Normal" and "High"... :confused: :p

Errhh .. what was the RAM module ? Manufacturer, Chip, etc ?

I dunno, its most certainly possible, I just didnt think it would be attained on a cheap ASRock board :shrug:

Gautam said:
I have three options; "Low", "Normal" and "High"... :confused: :p

OMG ROFLMAO!!!! :bday:

Thats what you call a cheap arse mobo :beer:

Now how about that FSB.. if this is real.. who cares how cheap it is!! WOOT!!! :attn:

btw.. this could just be you! :shrug: :p

My trusty Corsair XMS2 5400UL Rev 1.2. 2x512. I'm quite intrigued. IIRC 16.9 at 3.1ghz is a half decent time...

This board is one heck of a class act as well. I could buy four of these and still have change with the amount I recently spent on a P5W DH. :p Not only that, its got DDR1 and AGP, along with DDR2 and PCI-E...but it is no ocer's board, I can tell you that. This speed appears to be the max, but part of the reason for that is I can't slow the ram down. :confused:

So, Soulfly, when are you going to "pee" on me? :p

Nice Gautam...I hope the fets make it ;) Something is obviously "weird" on some of these new boards. SPi time seems decent for the clocks, but I also noticed that SPi didn't change very drastically no matter where I had the mem set. Try some different dividers/timings and see what's up. When did you get a Step 5 6700?

greenmaji said:
The time makes it look real dude :thup: So Im stumped..

again.. MAX FSB MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good GOD we need to know ;)

btw.. who the hell told you that thing would work with Core2 :confused:

*edit*
Nevermind..
http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm
asrock is telling everyone ;)
This does appear to be the max FSB. This is no OCer's board. However, I seem to be stuck on the 1:2 divider so I can't even slow the ram down. :p That could very well be what's holding me back. It isn't very stable at the above speed. Took luck just to get a SuperPI run to complete, and I know the proc can do about 3.5-3.6GHz in such conditions.

Ross: I got the proc last Saturday. My Bad Axe died on Sunday. :( Barely had time to do anything with it. It was the same violent death as yours. One of the memory mosfets popped loudly and I saw some smoke. I vmodded the board for a bit, but never even adjusted the trimmer. It died, however, after I removed the mod. I was terrified, especially after knowing the fate of your 6400C3's. However, it seems that I cut power quickly enough, because, as you can see, my memory is still very much alive and kicking. :) I took a DMM reading with the DIMM slots unpopulated and it read between 3.9-4v. :eek: So far, that's two disastrous board deaths that my memory has survived. That's why I kept quiet about it and bought the Asrock as it was my quickest option to assess the damage. I always maintained that my ram could rub shoulders with the 6400C3's. :D

PS, Ross, I think your sig needs a slight alteration now. ;)

Last edited:
Jeez man, BadAxe = some scary crap. I slept better having returned mine yesterday :) The P5W will be here today, but it will probably be pretty useless without mods/phase on 6700/6800...will keep ya posted.

Gautam said:
So, Soulfly, when are you going to "pee" on me? :p

Not on you, just the chip my man!:)

I kid, I kid. Looks like it might actually turn out to be a heckuva chip!

Might actually build one.

Back