• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Memory Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClarkKent

I want to buy some new memory for my new rig but I had some questions first. I don't plan on overclocking or at least very much. But I would love to put in some a couple gigs of really fast ram and run my FSB at that speed too.

So lets say I go with some OCZ PC4000 which is running at 250MHz. I want to to run my FSB at that as well. So will dropping down some other settings so my cpu does not go above 2GHz. Is this going to be benifcial or a waste of time?? I'm just looking for the best bandwidth out of everything without overclocking too much.

So if any of this is possible or worth it performance wise, what would be fastest ram to get so that I was running my fastest FSB.

I hope this is clear.

Any help, suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

ClarkKent said:
really fast ram and run my FSB at that speed too.

So lets say I go with some OCZ PC4000 which is running at 250MHz. I want to to run my FSB at that as well. So will dropping down some other settings so my cpu does not go above 2GHz.
So if any of this is possible or worth it performance wise, what would be fastest ram to get so that I was running my fastest FSB.
You've got the right idea. You can use a multiplier to slow down your CPU, but thet CPU will do 2400 pretty easily, so DDR500 (250mhz) ram would be a good choice.

You can download this (AMD64 Calculator). It's a little CPU/Multi/RAM/Divider/HT calculator that rill show you the effects of changing these.
http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/

Alright so here is where I'm at now. My new ram is here and I've my rig up and running with it. Here are my settings.

CPU multi = 10
CPU clk = 250MHz
CPU freq. = 2500MHz

RAM = 250MHz(DDR500).

Last edited:
ClarkKent said:
Alright so here is where I'm at now. My new ram is here and I've my rig up and running with it. Here are my settings.

CPU multi = 10
CPU clk = 250MHz
CPU freq. = 2500MHz

RAM = 250MHz(DDR500).
Be happy! Or, you could start upping the CPU clk one at a time and see how far you can go. That's what OCing is all about.

Should this end with something about "and do the hokey-pokey."

Back