• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (Timing/Voltage Question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing

This is the memory I am speaking of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145023

I am having some issues overclocking my Pentium D 805 and ive been told that it could be the memory. It currently runs at stock timings with 1.8 volts running to it. I get my fsb to 169 and the system wont go any higher and boot.

It could be something with my power supply but someone mentioned something about giving more voltage to the memory. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this memory and give some advice as far as what voltage to give it and possibly some info on what the timings can do.

TIA!

wing said:
This is the memory I am speaking of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145023

I am having some issues overclocking my Pentium D 805 and ive been told that it could be the memory. It currently runs at stock timings with 1.8 volts running to it. I get my fsb to 169 and the system wont go any higher and boot.

It could be something with my power supply but someone mentioned something about giving more voltage to the memory. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this memory and give some advice as far as what voltage to give it and possibly some info on what the timings can do.

TIA!
The memory in that link is PC2-5400, not 6400.

Double check the voltage needed, that very well could be the problem (sounds like whoever could have been right to me) most of the high end ram runs in the near to just over 2.0V.

You mentioned a possible PSU problem, could you illaberate or start a thread in the opprorate area for that?

I would be more intrested in the max frequency if you have the time :)

It just that you don't have sufficient cooling or unfortunately your 805 D don't have capacity. You can't expect every single 805 D to be behavior like one that Tom's Hardware overclocked.

You cant? is that unreasonable :) hehe just kidding.

I know, fortunately they are cheap enough I may try getting another one, at least that will narrow it down as its a lot easier to swap cpu than to swap power supply since it took like a week for me to get all the cables exactly how I wanted!

Greenmaji..

you wanted to know the max frequency of my ram or of the CPU? Let me know and I can do what I can to tell you what you are looking for

if you are talking about the ram, i know stock is 5-5-5-12, but I have run it at 4-4-4-10 without issue. I tried 3-3-4-10 once and it didnt boot but didnt try each individual value at 3 yet.

Can anyone direct me to a thread that actually explains in depth what each value is and or means? because when i change the numbers I am just shooting in the breeze, i have no clue what it all means :)

I'm using the XMS2-6400. They are V1.4 revision ones.

4-4-4-12 @ 800MHz with 1.80V Vdimm, memory acceleration on 975X enabled. :)

Attempted 4-4-3-11 with the same speed and volt, but wasn't stable. :p

V1.4 should be Micron chips, V2.2 on Elpida, and I recently spotted V4.1. V4.1 doesn't seem Elpida at all, so wonder if it could be the new revision Microns?

IIRC 1100MHz can be achieved at 5-5-5-15 with 2.3V/2.4V with the V1.4 revision sticks. :D

wing said:
]

The 170MHz FSB wall seems to be a board issue unfortunately.. :(

Yeah, figured that out after I had already ordered another 805 and power supply :) oh well. Got a new mobo now and it OC's fine :)

Back