• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory? P5LD2 & PD 805

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dizzyfun

Registered
Hello all. Have narrowed my search down for CPU and MB. Will be buying an Asus P5LD2 and PD 805 chip. Will be OC'ing it to around 3.6 Ghz. The MB is compatable with DDR2 667, 533 and 400. I will probably be buying a dual channel kit 512MBx2.
Am wanting to stay under $100 for memory. (that way the wife can't get too mad at me.)
Which speed would be the best option for an OC'd system? Also, what brands are recommended and what brands should I stay away from? Specific models would be very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the same exact setup I have 667Mhz ram. That is a great setup for 3.6-4.0Ghz on air. I have a brand new set from OCZ back from RMA that I just tested that I will be putting on the classified tomorrow if your looking for a set now.

I have the same exact setup I have 667Mhz ram. That is a great setup for 3.6-4.0Ghz on air. I have a brand new set from OCZ back from RMA that I just tested that I will be putting on the classified tomorrow if your looking for a set now.

he doesn't have classified access yet. He's a ways away from 100posts

lets put it this way, 3.6 would be no sweat on any ram, as long as its not DDR2-3200. Now say we get this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145526 which I had. It operates at stock at 266FSB. Now the 805 has a 20X multiplier. Now to hit 3.6 we need to divide 3600/20 = which equals 180. So assuming the chip or ram aren't bad ocers, you should hit 3.6 easy. I had this corsair ram, and it hit about 270 for me. of course I didn't push it much farther. But that ram for an oc like that will be fine. Well at loose timings although mine did hit 3-3-3-11 on 1.9v

You are correct on that any ram will work but for max perfomance he needs at least 667Mhz or something that will do 700Mhz. Because at say 3.8 the highest ram divider is almost 800Mhz and the next is 680Mhz. So say he gets some bargin basement stuff he will be stuck with sub par performance even though he has a 3.6-3.8 overclock. That's why I suggested at least some good 667Mhz. And I didn't look at his post count. Maybe it will still be there when he gets 100 posts.

netburst chips do benifit from lower latency of decent ram.. if your sticking with the 805D for the long run get some meduim grade DDR2 and you would be more then fine :)

Back