• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

July 3, 2006 Something Else To Keep In Mind - No PATA CD/DVD/HD support on Intel 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
July 3, 2006 Something Else To Keep In Mind - No PATA CD/DVD/HD support on Intel 965

If you get a new Intel 965 chipset motherboard,

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00988/

there may be no place to plug in an old hard drive or even a brand new DVD burner?

Wow... the only logical reason would be that they want to start moving forward, and trying to force it onto the consumers... damn.

I'm glad I kept a couple extra ide-sata adaptors in case I run into this problem... hehe. :D

When was the last time there wasn't an aftermarket chip added for extra raid frunctionality or some other purpose? I see no differnce.

i did read something about sata cd drivers, plus i never liked the huge ide connectors even the rounded ones :) but will sata benifit cd drives?

The biggest problem is the lack of supply of sata optical drives. Just looking at Newegg, the only sata optical drives are made by Plextor and cost around $100.

And the bad thing about add-on IDE chips on the mobo is that they most probably will use the PCI bus and not a PCI-e lane instead, flooding the PCI bus bandwidth significantly.

And like g0dM@n, I still have a couple of IDE>sata converters laying around too. :D

muddocktor said:
And the bad thing about add-on IDE chips on the mobo is that they most probably will use the PCI bus and not a PCI-e lane instead, flooding the PCI bus bandwidth significantly.

It is just a single IDE that supports only 2 divices but I didn't think about it this way, the chances of you being right are about 95% about it being on the PCI bus.

Back