• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ DDR2 PC2-7200 Platinum SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Rain

http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc..._7200_platinum_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel

Does anyone have any thoughts about this ram? I just now saw it for the first time and was wondering if this would be "The" ram to get for a quad-sli system running on a motherboard like this one -

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1163&l1=3&l2=101&l3=0

Not planning on buying for a while so I know there will be new stuff out later but I like to get an idea in my head way ahead of time and modify that as newer things come out.

It really bugs me when companys use the term Dual Channel ram. Dual-Channel DDR does not exist -- there is no such thing as Dual-Channel DDR memory. When we say Dual-Channel in regards to memory, we're referring to the memory controller (northbridge) of the motherboard. Dual-Channel memory controllers have two separate channels for data, thereby doubling the potential theoretical memory bandwidth. Certain nForce chipsets use two separate memory controllers, so it is not quite the same thing although Nvidia calls it DualDDR and it does increase the theoretical memory bandwidth far beyond the actual limitations of AMD CPUs.

On a personal level I would rather have mushkin or corsair memory as Ive always had good experiences with them.

I guess for the most part I want to know your opinions on this SLI "optimization" they are talking about, if that's a motherboard it would work in, and about that memory's timings, I was looking at the enhanced latency titanium models which I did like the latencies of but they were over 400 bucks per 2gb kit. This mem is about 250 from what I saw and if it's claims are true would be better for a sli system anyway. Not to mention I would like to be able to get 4gb so 400dollar per 2gb kit is out of the question. I know that's not the greatest idea for overclocking, but when it comes to OC'ing I'm still not very good at it and if I do any of this "future system" i'm planning it will be kept to a minimum due to my lack of ability and heat constraints (room pc is in tends to get hotter than the other rooms of our house for some weird reason, and I play for extended periods of time, didn't figure a massive overclock would be wise/possible in these conditions)

To answer the question, that RAM would kick arse in a Conroe build. FAST and pretty LL.

There is little evidence to suggest that the memory sticks operate as suggested without that mobo chipset and as such the question must be asked how will the perform on later chipsets ..
All that is stated is "resulting in better performance with select NVIDIA nForce motherboards" which could mean it perfoms better than generic ram on that chipset, it however provides no comparisions against the available bandwidth of other chipsets

Personally speaking I would prefer good quality generic DDR over something created, angled and marketed towards a specific mobo chipset.

I would still rather have corsair or mushkin over any ocz, but thats just my personal choice

this type of memory is generally something you would use for a pretty decently crazy overclock, i doubt you will see much of a difference in actual performance unless that is the case. I have found that you generally get the best performance and stability when you stay within the bounds of the manufacturer suggested specs (of the motherboard).

If you plan on doing extreem overclocking, this may be a good idea, but if you do not overclock (much) this memory is most likely fine, but you will not notice much of a difference (if any)

I also thought the timings was pretty nice on it for the price, I mean with AMD CPU the timings mean more than just raw max mhz in the ram - there are better timings from what I saw in their titanium series, slightly, but at nearly 2x the cost.

From what I can tell the EPP thing is to make overclocking simpler and easier to those of us who aren't as versed in all the finer details of the matter, but am unsure if I'm missing any points of this matter or not.

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu_mobo/nvidia/nf590/

""Enhanced Performance Profiles

Last week NVIDIA and Corsair announced that they have collaborated on a new open standard memory specification called Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP). As some of you may know, AMD has pretty much taken care of the memory controller since the introduction of the Athlon 64 family, and that will not be changing for the AM2.
The purpose of EPP is to make tweaking easier for, erm, tweakers. Provided you have a nForce 590 or 570 SLI based motherboard, the BIOS will detect the memory and prompt the user to enable the built-in optimizations. If you're guessing that this sounds like detecting Serial Presence Detect (SPD) settings, you would be partially correct as EPP is an extension to SPD. As NVIDIA explained to us, Corsair uses the extra space in the SPD region of memory to hold the extra EPP settings and the NVIDIA BIOS contains code to read that information.""

""By default, SLI-Ready Memory is disabled. While NVIDIA and Corsair have done extensive testing, overclocking is always a case of your mileage may vary. Provided your memory is indeed SLI-Ready certified, you'll have a number of options once enabled. Disabled, any memory clocked at 800MHz and up will run at 800MHz. CPUOC0% runs the memory at 936MHz. Note that at this speed, as the setting implies, there is no CPU overclocking. Each increment thereafter will increase the CPU overclocking by the specified amount.
NVIDIA's tests have shown about 15% improvement in SiSoft Sandra and 4% in games such as Doom 3 using CPUOC0%. While overclocking memory isn't new, EPP makes it much simpler and less tedious than it has been in the past. Still, nothing has been removed though and enthusiasts wishing to do things the old way can still do so.
While this is a joint development between NVIDIA and Corsair, the EPP specifications are open standard as mentioned earlier, and expect to see other memory manufacturers to release products with EPP support, such as Kingston and OCZ.""

I don't claim to be any type of guru, I know a few things, but I know there is a lot to understand. Never heard about any of this before today and looking for help in getting a more in depth view of what it all means.

Last edited:
just extra settings added to the SPD.
It is made for people who panick when they see a whole horde of settings on the BIOS but do want to overclock.
That "SLI-ready memory" just adds some extra settings to the SPD with overclocked frequencies. That way said people just set their wanted values, and be happy.
But, I think you would get much better result doing it manually.

Back