• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Nightmare to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agashka

Hello, for years , my Dad pc was hell to boot up to windows. The problem is wierd, all we do is press the button on the case, Asus logo come up, then Windows is loading, after a black screen come and after some minutes pc restart. My dad says to fix that, you gotta start in safemode then shutdown the pc, then start it and it will work, yea, it work 1/3of the time. It takes around 30mins to 1h to boot the pc some days, when my dad is lukey, he get it on the first shot, it's ok. So it looks like that:

7:00 -> dad wakeup
7:10 -> dad start pc
7:12 -> pc wont start, but restart on its own
7:13 -> starting in safemode
7:20 -> dad turn off pc after booting safemode
7:24 -> dad start pc................................
.....8:15 -> PC started!

I've first thought it was a windows problem, but well, it been like 2? 3? years we got it, and format it each years, and still, no difference.
Here's my dad specs:

-Asus P4P800-SE s478
-s478 Intel 3.00ghz cpu w/ stock cooling (noisy, can hear it from my second floor room)
-Uknown brand 512mb ram 2x512mb pc3200
-Maxtor (>.< poor him) 80GB 7200rpm hard drive
-Asus Geforce 5200 with passive cooling (turn really hot fast)
-No extra fan to put air in

Might it be a cooling problem?

I would look at upgrading the air cooling in the rig, could very possibly be heat related.

How do your voltage rails look under the bios or within windows using PCprobe?

Also have ran memtest on the memory.

Those are just my suggestions.

Vcore -> 1.568
3.3v -> 3.28
5v -> 5.08
12v -> 12.03

That seam really good to me, that was after rebooting after 30mins or ramtest

on ramtest, 3 pass , 0 error in 30mins, im gonna leave it a full night, when i'll ave the time and acceptable weather

Back