• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restarting machine...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

So I install the Halo CE trial on my computer... and when I play it for any length of time... the computer will just shut off and restart, with no warning...

I've updated my video drivers.... whats the deal?

Jdrake90

PS. Thanks in advance

You get BSODs.: XP by default immediately reboots. Look in your eventviewerand you might find out more.

There are a few things that might be wrong, so lets try to narrow it down.
  • First of all, have you done any overclocking? This could be a sign of an unstable component in your rig. To determine what is at fault, you will have to run a few tests (--Prime95--, --3DMark--, etc). These tests will help narrow down a component problem (if this is the case). To be sure that it is not your overclock that is affecting your performance, I would set your system back to stock settings, and see if Halo still crashes. In rarer cases, it could possibly be defective or dying hardware, and in those situations, you would have to begin with standard hardware troubleshooting techniques.
  • The next thing that I would suspect is either a corrupt install, or a damaged/corrupt Hard Drive. Go over to --This thread--, read it through, and then run the appropriate diagnostic tools to see if your Hard Drive is failing or not. In any case, it is also smart to keep your Hard Drive clean and uncluttered. Running a defragmenter, and clearing out files which are out of date is always good practice. I would also attempt to reinstall Halo, as reinstalling would replace any damaged or corrupt files.

Hopefully you get everything sorted out, but in case you don't, there might be other members here who could pitch in their 2 cents. I personally do not play many computer games, and so I do not have direct experience with Halo, but when all is said and done, most of the time, random reboots such as these are due to one of the listed reasons above.

If you need any help running these diagnostics, or you still have questions, then just hit me up with a PM or a reply. I will be more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Raven

Back