• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot open this one folder...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wzc89

Registered
Theres this one folder where Id o have a lot of data in.. perhaps too much.

Anyway, I don't quite reember when this problem started happening and therefore I haven't been able to scufessfully System Restore it yet... I'm still trying, and i'm hoping the problem could be fixed.

What happens is that explorer just "freezes" in a way. It would just stall in a white screen and after a few minutes stop responding, and i'd have to either end task the window,or explorer.exe itself.

I tried copying the folder to another HD, renaming it, cutting it etc. I can move the root folder, but if I try to do anytihn gwiht the sub-folders it would freeze soon. I've tried botting up in sfemode to do this and stil no success.

I noticed that in the properties, they were all listed as "read Only" and the checkbox is grey instead of black and white like the rest.... I don't work with read-only a lot if at all so I'm unfamiliar on what a darkened box means.

It looks like this:
Sorry for the poor quality ss

Is there a way for me to un-read only it?

Is there way to access the data? What are some things that I can try?

Thanks a lot

The easiest way to get access to a folder is reboot in safe mode, log in as administrator (almost said root...lol) and then remove the read-only status.

I had the same problem when I got XP Pro and installed it on a seperate HDD. I couldn't access my "My Documents" folder I set a password to log in on my XP Home install. A quick reboot and deselect read-only, and I had my files back!

Hope this helps :p

edit: This is assuming you don't have permissions to read the folder...

Do you happen to have either DivX installed, and / or a large number of AVI files contained within the sub-folders of the directory you're having a problem accessing?

redduc900 said:
Do you happen to have either DivX installed, and / or a large number of AVI files contained within the sub-folders of the directory you're having a problem accessing?

That's my guess, but I won't comment further on what might be in there :D :thup:

Sorin said:
That's my guess, but I won't comment further on what might be in there :D :thup:

haha good call. There really isn't much in there though.

Anyway, i tried what you guys suggested and it didn't really work =/.

Safe mode -> Admin -> remove readonly but it comes back everytime..

The progrma that was normally assosiated with them is not "installed" so "Im just going to delete the program file itself when I get back. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Re: the read-only attribute of folders, here's a MSKB article you may find interesting...

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/

XP makes folders read-only by design.... the read-only attribute is only used by Explorer to see if the folder is a special / system folder.

Last edited:
Back