• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS - DOS Failiure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

Hi Guys my MS Dos / Cmd has all of a sudden went funny. w/e cmd i type nothing happens but the text appears. this is only when i go Start> Programs> accessories > Command Prompt. It does nothing at all if i go Start> Run>Cmd. ALso when i go to close the window it comes up program not responding.

any ideas guys????

Another thing my Windows> System32 Folder is empty???? HOW has this happened

Command and CMD are two different things. I recommend using cmd from the run prompt.
As for your empty system32 folder are you sure the files arent hidden? Maybe a virus is the explanation.

Cmd.exe is a 32-bit program, whereas Command.exe is a 16-bit one provided for compatibility purposes only... normally Cmd.exe is the one to use. AFA the original poster's problem, I would definitely suggest scanning for viruses like 6ghztofreedom made mention of.

CMD is also correctly called command interpreter its not DOS and not all the commands available to DOS are compatible or work

redduc900 said:
Cmd.exe is a 32-bit program, whereas Command.exe is a 16-bit one provided for compatibility purposes only... normally Cmd.exe is the one to use. AFA the original poster's problem, I would definitely suggest scanning for viruses like 6ghztofreedom made mention of.
Just to be picky it's command.com that's the 16-bit hack on an 8-bit patch. ;)

OP: you have probably caught something, I would suggest checking for viruses (use multiple scanners if practicable) as well as the usual malware and spyware detectors.

Back