• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error Message at login screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imgod22222

Registered
savedump.exe - Entry point not found
The procedure entry point SymSetSymWIthAddr64 could not be located in the dynamic link library DBGHELP.dll

I get that msg at the login screen. Its really annoying, and i don't know anything about dll's.

Which OS are you running (including any SP installed), and what are your system specs in it's entirety? Since you're obviously running an NT-based OS, open Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)... Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click a couple of the newest crtical errors you've received (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Copy and paste (use the "Copy to Clipboard" button under the arrow buttons in the Event Properties" window) a couple of the latest critical error messages as they appear under the "Description" field, and post them in this thread.

Also... open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

'Doh! I knew i forgot to say alot of things... sorry.
I'm currently running Windows XP SP2 (32-bit edition)
and I'll put my specs in my sig. (we're talking about my new tower)
I tried eventviewer before, and it doesn't tell me about anything.
msinfo32 isn't working.
scanning over the page 6ghztofreedom gave me, i saw "API" and i remembered that the AMD Dual-Core optimizer thing i just donwloaded does something about it. I haven't restarted since i installed it yet, i'm backing up my data ATM.

Have System Restore? You could use it, but be forewarned that it will remove and change items on the desktop and also installed applications to a point prior in history. This might be necessary at this stage.

If you can't do that and you can boot into Windows you might want to uninstall that new program that you installed. I don't think it will resolve the issue though, but you never know.

Third thing, go to C:\Windows\System32\ and you will find that dll right there, dbghelp.dll. Right click on the file and choose Properities and make sure it matches the below information. If what you see differs then post that information here.

General Tab
Size : 625 KB (640,000 bytes)
Size on Disk : 628 KB (643,072 bytes)

Version Tab
(under File Version) : (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Security Tab (if you have it)
Make sure all user accounts have at a minimum Read as well as Read and Execute permissions

What might have happened is that file might have been corrupted. If that is the case, then System Restore (mentioned above) should resolve the issue, if it was enabled.

wierd thing is, system restore doesn't work on this computer, however it IS enabled for both drives so I'm in the dark.

General Tab
Size : 794 KB (813,568 bytes)
Size on Disk : 796 KB (815,104 bytes)

Version Tab
Other version information
Item Name: > File Version > Value: 6.2.0013.1 (DbgBuild.030619-2209)

Also, i only installed the basic things because this is a relatively new computer

Last edited:
No, I'm not gonna reinstall XP. That takes WAYYY too long. I downloaded the .dll from the site specified and I'll find out whether that made a difference next time i boot.

imgod22222 said:
No, I'm not gonna reinstall XP. That takes WAYYY too long. I downloaded the .dll from the site specified and I'll find out whether that made a difference next time i boot.
The time it takes to install XP is a function of how quickly you can click 'next'. :cool:

The error message you got indicates that you have the wrong version of a specific dynamic link library. DLLs--dynamic link libraries--permit Windows applications to use common code and in theory require less memory. Let's say you have a program that prints "Hello world" to the screen. Instead of including the printing code in the application, it's dynamically-linked at runtime to some library file somewhere, containing the code that does the printing. When you actually run the program, the DLL is loaded into memory as well (assuming it's not already in RAM), and when you call the procedure to print to the screen with the output--"Hello World"--as a parameter, execution is transferred to somewhere up in the dynalibrary itself, the printing is done, and execution is returned to the calling program.

This is a wonderful theory. Regrettably, there is very little control exercised by the OS over the library files. (Note, Linux is just as guilty here, as it's very easy to screw up out in /usr/lib or /lib and render system programs completely inoperative. Some smart young person should do something about that.) Windows installers *should* be smart and polite enough to check for version conflicts or already-installed libraries and not mess with them if a newer version of the .dll is already present. Typically, however, they aren't that smart.

An inability to find a procedure entry point means that you have the wrong version of the file, either for the wrong architecture (not likely unless you're running in a full 64-environment, which you aren't) or because some application installer somewhere said "I'll just overwrite that DLL, nobody will notice", resulting in an inability to find the entry point for that procedure at run-time.

Solution: find the appropriate version of the DLL for your arch and application status (good luck), or reinstall your OS.

Back