• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All passwords deleted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RP Racing

Well this is twice this laptop (HP Pavilion 4315us) has done this to me (XP Home SP2). Had an explorer window lock up and when I forced it to end via task manager, it closed all open windows (which isnt the problem) and when I opened up a new browser, all my passwords for my forums were forgot. This is the second time this has happened since it had been reformetted 6 months ago. Passwords are all set to save, and all cookies are enabled for the sites I frequent. Really sucks having to go to each forum and look up my password for that forum and retype it in.

Ideas?

the only crazy thing that i can think of is that for some strange reason, when you open IE it opens a stream to the folder that the pwds are in...for this reason when you do a hard shut down on the program it would cause it to lose the information.

I could be right, or maybe the aliens in my room are talking again...either way...good luck and i hate when that happens (changing to a new computer a lot or having a HDD crash)

Go to the cookie folder and copy it's contents to another location. Then whey you lose them, just copy them back. You may want to copy the contents every time you sign onto a new forum.

ticktock123 said:
the only crazy thing that i can think of is that for some strange reason, when you open IE it opens a stream to the folder that the pwds are in...for this reason when you do a hard shut down on the program it would cause it to lose the information.

I could be right, or maybe the aliens in my room are talking again...either way...good luck and i hate when that happens (changing to a new computer a lot or having a HDD crash)

in the numerous times varios pieces of windows has crashed (be it windows itself or IE) I have never lost cookies/passwords/history/etc so it must be something else.

pik4chu said:
in the numerous times varios pieces of windows has crashed (be it windows itself or IE) I have never lost cookies/passwords/history/etc so it must be something else.

Its not everytime, just on occassion. And its IE 6

I have the solution to that:

FIREFOX

Seriously, I only had problem with IE lately, plus it's both outdated and non-secure

I never had issues with Firefox so far...

FeuerFrei said:
I have the solution to that:

FIREFOX

Seriously, I only had problem with IE lately, plus it's both outdated and non-secure

I never had issues with Firefox so far...

Ironcially I have issues with firefox on windows.

Firefox can be way worse. Cause an error an it'll wipe out EVERYTHING - passwords, bookmarks, settings, extentions, etc. It hasn't happened lately, might have just be a problem with a previous version.

Back