• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here is how you can test it: take an avi and copy it to mpeg and compare the two. and/or take an mpeg and convert it to avi and compare the two. i hear avi is better if you are going to edit your movies with adobe premire. but if you are going to make dvds try to get videos directly to mpeg-2 cuz this will save you time in converting to mpeg-2.

WeezleXX89 said:
I was wondering is it true that avi files have a crisp image than mpeg?

Depends on a lot of factors, such as bitrate and format. I think you're trying to make a comparison between mpeg1 and the usual AVIs out there in the P2P world - DivX and XviD - which are mpeg4 codecs.

So if you're asking about mpeg1 versus mpeg4, then generally mpeg4 > mpeg1. XviD/DivX/x264 mpeg4 picture quality can be very good for their filesize.

Is an apple better than an orange? ;)

Mpeg-2 is typically used for DVDs. DVD players usually can't read DivX (unless it's specifically a DivX player). People can encode into XviD/DivX but if their job is sloppy, then it can look worse than an mpeg capture.

You can capture to mpeg and it'll look fine. DivX/XviD has the added bonus of better compression -> smaller filesize.

All in all, you can't really say does mpeg look better than avi. It depends.

Pretty much any format can look the same. It's all about how much space you're willing to use to that end.

MPEG 1 requires quite high bitrates to look good -- usually exceeding 10Mbit
MPEG 2 (DVD) requires fairly high bitrates to look good -- DVD quality is 9.8Mbit
MPEG 4 (DivX/XviD) requires medium bitrates to look good -- 3Mbit or so (though 1Mbit isn't shabby).

JigPu

Oh ok thanks. I just thought It had a better image. When I watch videos there all small but on the other hand I thought avi had better resolution.

JigPu said:
Pretty much any format can look the same. It's all about how much space you're willing to use to that end.

MPEG 1 requires quite high bitrates to look good -- usually exceeding 10Mbit
MPEG 2 (DVD) requires fairly high bitrates to look good -- DVD quality is 9.8Mbit
MPEG 4 (DivX/XviD) requires medium bitrates to look good -- 3Mbit or so (though 1Mbit isn't shabby).

JigPu

since when is mpeg2 a constant bitrate? if that were the case you would never fit more than an hour on a dvd...

- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 84.4%
- Overall Bitrate : 6,225/4,980Kbs
- Space for Video : 4,084,102KB
- HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 5,686/4,736/4,980 Kbs

Back