• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions for people with mushkin xp2-5300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=276

these sticks were recommended to me and I picked them for my conroe (which is running). They spd at 4-4-4-15 or something so I set them to 3-3-3-10 as advertised. No post. So I reset the bios and then set the mem voltage to 2.1V. After about 2 hours of folding I get a blue screen. I decided to bump it up to 2.2V. The mem is running at 333MHz BTW.

Anyway, I'm totally new to DDR2. Is this a good way to proceed? Where should I have the mem frequency set to get the best performance for my chip? Should I have run memtest at 333 3-3-3-10 2.1V first?

Thanks for the help!

Conroes doesnt really get performance hit from lower latencies, try first with 3-3-3 and after that relax it to 4-3-3 then 4-4-3 and finally to 4-4-4. Try these combinations through and make some benching with those timing sets and pick up the best performing ones.

yeah i was suprised to go from 4-4-4-12 to 3-3-3-10 and see no noticeable increase in 3D03.

You mean they don't get a hit from higher latencies, right?

Is there a particular divider that will perform best?

Thanks Zebbo!

ohhhhhh, I think i understand. The mem is spec'd at 667MHz which is 333 "real" MHz. And I was running it at it's max speed for those latencies with the minimum voltage. Hopefully that extra .1V will get this stable. After that I can try loosening the timings for more speed.

Last edited:
The higher you go with FSB you also have to play with NB Strap levels as well as with memory dividers and create the best performing combination. As in example for the straps:
(Strap / FSB)
1333 = 333MHz
1067 = 266MHz
800 = 200MHz
533 = 166MHz

Of course these are not the limits for FSB with different strap levels, but example 1333 strap with same memory speed/fsb is slower than 1067 strap and so on.

Back