• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 Fails in test 5 & 8 only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShawnTRD

I ran Memtest86 for like 2.5 to 3 hrs today and had 421 errors. But when I looked they were all in Test 5 (255) and Test 8 (166). Any idea what that means?

check the memtest sticky up above. There's a list of what each test means
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=409152

test #1 - 4
are cpu fsb speed and or vcore related (meaning lowering fsb or increasing vcore saw errors in these tests disappear)

test #5
prior to 865/875 boards - memory speed, timings and vdimm related (meaning altering mem speed, timings and/or vdimm saw errors in this test disappear)

test#6
with 865/875 boards bigtoe has said related to cycle time (tras) in cpuz which i sort of confirmed with my current testing

note: prior to 865/875 boards, i've never had memory errors in test #6 only since these new boards have i experienced test #6 errors

test #7
not sure very rarely have i experienced errors

extended test
test #8 is a more intensive version of test #5

Errors of any kind are bad. I've even went as far as being error free in Memtest but Windows wasn't stable on it (CPU speed was even set below defaults).

Any errors are a bad thing. If you get any at all, they are most likely to be in 5 or 8.

You should step back on the OC a little bit or give it a little more voltage.

If you are running memtest, just select to run test #5, the other tests don't stress memory enough to pop errors. They probably will come up with errors but over longer time. Test #5 will show memory related problems quicker.

As goes for errors in test #5, they might be relelated to defective memory, incorrect timings, maxed out OC, incorrect memory speed, not enough voltage. Also sometimes by CPU when it is unstable.

you forgot to mention test 8... i think its more hardcore than test 5. i get 1 error in test 8 but none in test 5

dlavrenz said:
Any errors are a bad thing. If you get any at all, they are most likely to be in 5 or 8.

You should step back on the OC a little bit or give it a little more voltage.

Well last night I changed my BIOS setting from 1T to 2T. I ran Memtest86 for about 4 hours, and I only got about 160 errors and they where all in test 5. So I'm going to try going back to 1T and up my voltage from 2.7 to 2.75.

Thanks

I'd stay at the 2T and give it more voltage till you get no errors, then you know where you are stable at then work from that point up. I always find a '0-point' for my overclock and work up from that point, that way I always know where I can default back to if I can't find a stable OC.

Rickster said:
you forgot to mention test 8... i think its more hardcore than test 5. i get 1 error in test 8 but none in test 5
Test 8 is more intense version of test 5. I had some problems with test 8 becasue it picked out also when cpu was maxed out and gave errors. I drop multi for processer and ran it with same and even higher memory speed and test 8 didn't give any errors. Pretty much if you get errors in test #8 you will also get in #5 but over longer period of time.

Run 5 loops of Test 8. If you get errors in Test 8, try swapping the ram sticks around in the board.

Test 5 is next, run about 20 loops and if no errors, retest a coupla loops in Test8. If both are good, run at Least 5 complete tests before heading in your OS.

Do some more testing there, especially Memtest for Windows, if you are in fact running windows that is.

Larry

Back