• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware memory tester for large lot of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Well I've been looking at liquidation.com and have found many many very awesome deals on memory in large quantities, but most of them are salvage so I need a way to test them. The quantities are in the hundreds, so software testing would not be practical.

I'm looking for something that can do a full test of different types of memory and possibly a burn in test for stability testing. It needs to be able to test PC100/133 DDR DDR2 and Rambus/RIMMS, or whatever it's called :p

I did a google search but didn't find much in my first few searches, so I thought some of the people here that own computers shops, or work with used computer parts might be able to help me out.

This is off topic, but does anyone here ever have trouble trying to figure out how to end a post? That is like the hardest fricken part of starting a thread for me! In fact, I was sitting here thinking about how to end this because I didn't just want to say thanks, and I gave up. That's why you're being presented with this last paragraph...and now I still don't know how to end this post :-/

How much are you looking to spend? Hardware memory testers can run into the thousands of dollars.

Next best thing is to have a few rigs that boot from the memtest86 cd. Let it run for 1 cycle and repeat. (I assume hardware memory testers can do it faster)

Bios24 said:
How much are you looking to spend? Hardware memory testers can run into the thousands of dollars.

:rolleyes: that figures, stupid &%$#ing greedy corps ripping people off just because it's a "professional" product. I hate corporate america. :mad: come on, I think we all know those things can't possibly cost that much to build....but I guess it would be a worthwhile investment, after all, I could easily be making a 50% profit or more with the prices that I can get at liquidation.com. I haven't seen an auction yet that has had a per unit for memory sticks go higher then 5 or 10 bucks each, and that isn't for old memory, but used newer memory. Some PC133, but those are actually more expensive.

Next best thing is to have a few rigs that boot from the memtest86 cd. Let it run for 1 cycle and repeat. (I assume hardware memory testers can do it faster)

Looks like I'll have to do that...but I also wanted to buy lots of CPUs, and and HDDs, are there testers for those too? Maybe I should start another thread in the CPU and Storage section for those questions.

Well I just realized I wasn't really specific enough. I'm looking for places to buy these memory testers, and any recommendations on specific models, or brands.

I use the CST equipment. www.simmtester.com. The base runs for around $3500 with a DDR head, I believe and additional heads for DDR2, SDRAM, and SODIMMS are anywhere from $500 to $1500 more.

Even then if you have a large quantity of memory, you'd want to invest in the pneumatic handler. That runs something like $10,000.

It's not so much a "Corporate America" thing, rather a "there's about 3 companies that make equipment like this" thing.

There's a company called Ramcheck that has a RAMBUS tester I believe. It would be more cost effective to run a RAMBUS board though. There are "Professional" software memory test programs available that are far faster and more in-depth than memtest and also run from a floppy. (Sorry, get in trouble if I tell ya).

If you're referring to something like this:
http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=916844&convertTo=USD

That lot probably wouldn't net you anything functional. That's the same type of stuff my company puts up on ebay sometimes. It's the burned, bad, chip missing, etc parts that can't be returned to my vendors.

Just fair warning.

soulfly1448 said:
I use the CST equipment. www.simmtester.com. The base runs for around $3500 with a DDR head, I believe and additional heads for DDR2, SDRAM, and SODIMMS are anywhere from $500 to $1500 more.
that's a little more then I was hoping to spend...do you mean the additional heads are 500 - 1500 each? Or 500 - 1500 for the set? Please say for the set lol

Even then if you have a large quantity of memory, you'd want to invest in the pneumatic handler. That runs something like $10,000.
what do you define as large quantity? Because it seams to me that 300+ is a large quantity to be testing one at a time. But 10,000 dollars just isn't feasible for 300 sticks of memory :-/

It's not so much a "Corporate America" thing, rather a "there's about 3 companies that make equipment like this" thing.
well I guess another reason they charge so much is because they are targeting commercial usage, which yields a much lower amount of orders as apposed to them targeting anyone. Is that part of the problem? I mean, you don't' see these things sitting on the shelves at a circuit city after all :p

There's a company called Ramcheck that has a RAMBUS tester I believe. It would be more cost effective to run a RAMBUS board though. There are "Professional" software memory test programs available that are far faster and more in-depth than memtest and also run from a floppy. (Sorry, get in trouble if I tell ya).
Well maybe I'll just try to avoid rambus all together in that case.

Why would you get in trouble? If it is professional software, couldn't I just buy it? Please don't tell me you've already said too much lol :beer:

If you're referring to something like this:
http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=916844&convertTo=USD

That lot probably wouldn't net you anything functional. That's the same type of stuff my company puts up on ebay sometimes. It's the burned, bad, chip missing, etc parts that can't be returned to my vendors.

Just fair warning.

yeah, I was looking at ones similar to that. Although that one doesn't look like a good lot. I saw some that looked better, still salvage, but nonetheless.

btw, like your avatar :D funny commercial

btw soulfly, what particular model do you use? You mentioned a base one, but I'm not sure which one is the base unit on the web page you sent me.

Thanks.

Sorry to start another post for this, but I forgot to add it, and the previous post looked like it was becoming a mess.

I was actually thinking of ones more like this

http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=917208

looks a little better then the other one, at least I think it does.

Or even better, ones like this one

http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=921188

Condition is new on these. I would still want to check them before I could resell them though.

Last edited:
The SP3000 base is the one I have. And yes, it's $500-$1500 additional per head. That second lot looks pretty nice. The first one though, I'd still be leary of.

soulfly, I still want to know why you would get in trouble if you told me about that peice of software. Even more then that I'd like to know why you would even mention it if you can't tell me? I'm a very curious person, and now I can't let this go. :bang head

Back