• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro over Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a format... I currently have XP home. As a student/university employee, I can get M$ stuff on the cheap, if I sign a license and all this other legal babble.

Basically, if you had XP home, could get XP Pro for ~$7, and needed a format anyway, would you get it?

Yep, I would upgrade to Pro, especially if I could get a copy that cheap.

Another good extra is that you will now have two valid copies of XP just in case one gets lost/damaged, or you buy another PC.

I like pro much better, but I am a system admin... most users would not know or care about the differences at all... like domain network ability and the use of gpedit.msc.

Got it. A pro upgrade is what it was.

No real world differences yet. Faster, but that's just cause it's a fresh format.

i dont see what the big diff is other than IIS software raid and remote desktop server.... but hell for freakin 7 bucks i would buy 11 and sell 10 for 20 bucks less than retail value :bday: :beer: but im sure somewhere in that leagal babble you speak of that there is somethign stating that you cant do what i just said.

tech2487 said:
pro all the way! i am an average user, and i can't stand home.

I'm the same I hate Home Edition got so used to Pro now that's I'll buy a new copy for my next build for defo. I also bought my copy 3 years ago working for a despatch company as we sold IBM till systems to business's. We normally would dispatch them with Windows 2000 but somehow xp Pro was ordered once so I bought it for at the time £110. XP Pro hasn't dropped in price since I purchased it 3 years ago thou over here in the UK.

Back