• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drag drop the OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dz_jad

Ok, I seriously doubt this, but I lost my XP disk, and I've got 2 raptor 36's that I'm gonna throw in a Raid 0, can I drag and drop the System files over?
I dont think you can...but someone clarify if I can....? thanx0rz.

Nope drag and drop doesn't work due to hidden Win sys files and the MBR. If everything is still working fine, then why not just add your drives in your raid 0 on the secondary channel and then keep your old drive just to house your OS and all it's knick-knacks? Maybe even partition it down to 20GB? If your old drive isn't working/booting to OS then it would be a great time to try SUSE or Ubuntu until you can "obtain" a replacement OS disk, just beware of the MS genuine advantage.

really? I dont know anything about Raid really, just that there is a stripe, looks like I might try 16k, but whats the secondary channel?
dz_jad said:
clarify if I can....? thanx0rz.
I dont remember saying 'thanx0rz'..wtf?

Your machine has usually 2 channels for your attached storage, some mobos have more and you can always add on some with a controller card. Channel 0 contains 2 devices device 0 and device 1 while channel 2 also contains 2 devices being device 2 and device 3. You WILL have a HD on channel 0, but your CD/DVD drive can be on any of the other 3 channels. If you can without conflict set your CD/DVD drive onto channel 1 as a slave using device 2 to your primary HD as device 1 on channel 0 then that'll leave you with devices 2 and 3 free on your second channel for your 2 hard drives to use in array.

The pic I made below is for IDE setups, but the same goes for your SATA drives, except you don't have to set the drives as master/slave. I'm also assuming your primary HD is PATA not SATA and we all know your CD/DVD drive is PATA.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    34.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
no but you could do a drive copy after you install the the raid drives .all you need is a drive copy software the manufature of your drives should have the software

you have 2 choices

1 use a drive copy program which if done right you can make the raid the primary drive .

2 burn every thing on the drive to cdroms or dvds and restore it to the raid

If you lost your disc, you can contact Microsoft with proof of legitimacy of product and probably have it replaced...assuming, of course...that you have proof of legitimacy.
Outlaw Wizard said:
you have 2 choices

1 use a drive copy program which if done right you can make the raid the primary drive .

2 burn every thing on the drive to cdroms or dvds and restore it to the raid
dd, available on all *nix liveCD distributions, could do the low-level copying, but there's no guarantee whatsoever that it'll work. Especially if the source and destination devices have different geometries. You'll want to spend a considerable amount of time RTFMP (reading the frakkin' man-pages). Burning * on the drive to DVD-R won't do you any good whatsoever as you won't have an MBR.

As far as getting a MBR that works, you'll have to use an XP disk to do that (fairly certain), or try something like this:
Code:
dd if=<your old windows drive> of=<your new array device> bs=512 count=1
while in the LiveCD environment, where <your old windows drive> and <your new array device> are both somewhere in /dev; wherein /dev/ will vary with the LiveCD you use. I have had poor luck with Linux and nvRAID; I chalk it up more to my own incompetence than I do the hardware support/modules.

you lost me. but thats okay! someone on another thread suggested something, so as soon as I get 'er done, I'll let you guys know :)

Back