• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory is my bottleneck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

Hey Guys,

I'm doing a bit of overclocking and wanted to know your opinions. My system has the following:

AMD64 X2 Toledo 4400+ @ 2.35 Ghz (11.0 x 214Mhz)
ASUS A8N5X
2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum PC3200 - 214Mhz @ 2.3.2.5 - 2T
Fortron 530W

Currently I cannot get the memory even 1Mhz higher without errors. I realize that my timings are fairly tight, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to take them to something like 3.4.4.8 - 1T and see how high it will go after that. If I could potentially see a significant increase in my CPU, would it be worth the "loose" timings?

Also, along the same lines, how much of a performance difference is there between 1T and 2T?

Thanks!

It depends from program that you runing to estimate difference between 1t vs 2t. Usually the difference is about 3%

Relaxing timings will probably increase your memory overclock but how much is unkown. Get a 3d mark or some other benchmark and compare relexed timings vs tight.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... is it worth loose timings if i can squeeze a couple hundred Mhz more out of my CPU?

AGampher said:
I guess what I'm trying to ask is... is it worth loose timings if i can squeeze a couple hundred Mhz more out of my CPU?
If you overclock processor to higher speed then loose timings won't matter.

Also you could overclock further processor and use lower divider and keep tight timings, if memory would not go far with loose timings.

Back