• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my RAM defective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

I just started overclocking again, and I wanted to see how high my memory could go. Before I could do 230fsb, 2-3-2-6, but now, I get errors even at 200fsb, 2-2-2-6.

My ram is rated at 217, 2-2-2-6 @2.8v. I tried 200fsb, 2-2-2-6 @2.8v and 2.9v and I get like 50 errors on number 8 on memtest86.

The mushkin has a lifetime warrenty, and I already left them a message.

Any ideas on what to do or should I just RMA it? I REALLY doubt they have any more black lvl2 (BH-5), but I thought they might give me some faster memory with looser timings maybe....

What do u think?

Try switching memory sticks and using different memory slots. More volts?

Are you using dfi board? Isn't there huge amount of memory options like on NF4?

You be better sure that ram is broke before sending it to mushkin. If it is bh5 it is unlikely to break with 2.8v. If mushkin finds ram working properly they will send you back same memory.

meionm said:
Try switching memory sticks and using different memory slots. More volts?

Are you using dfi board? Isn't there huge amount of memory options like on NF4?

You be better sure that ram is broke before sending it to mushkin. If it is bh5 it is unlikely to break with 2.8v. If mushkin finds ram working properly they will send you back same memory.

Have you ever had to send RAM to them before? How long does the process take? The ram used to run fine, it's only in the past week or so that it started erroring. I didn't change any options in the bios, they are all at "auto".

RMA the memory. If it was able to do 230MHz but can now only do 200 and you're still getting errors, the memory is bad. Nothing you can do but get replacements.

iLLestOne said:
Have you ever had to send RAM to them before? How long does the process take? The ram used to run fine, it's only in the past week or so that it started erroring. I didn't change any options in the bios, they are all at "auto".
It will probably take 2-3 weeks. Shipping will be most of it.

I'm just worried that maybe the MB is defective...but I don't have another pair of ram to test......or another MB to test the RAM on.....

Do you think they'll even have any BH-5 left? They stopped selling it quite awhile ago.

They don't even sell any ram that is as good as the BH-5 now too. The Redline xp4000 is faster, but has looser timings and ONLY comes in 1gb sticks. But I guess going to a faster pair w/ looser timings, and going to 2x1gb would be fine. Do they give you options to pay a little and upgrade when you have defective ram?

Well, you can keep the BH5 that's trashed, or, RMA it and hope for something better. The thing is that BH5 is not the "best" memory. Other chips can perform as well. Also, if you raise a stink, they'll prolly hook you up with the 1GB mods.

Back