• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a problem..here..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enRON

.. like a big dummy.. 2 days ago i was in the bios lookin around changed a few things and possibly didn`t change the settings back correctly. I saved/exit the bios.. computer restarted..and there is was " Operating System Not Found " I can`t get into the bios or other settings.. What the heck do i do? My computer was runing fine with no problems. Is my hard-drive crashed? How can i recover from this? I`m not a pro with computers but i`m really good with instructions.

Have XP Pro SP2

Thanks in advance!

I`m new here..glad to be part of the community!

:mad: :bang head :mad: :bang head :mad: :bang head

My guess is make sure that your HDD is one of the options for devices to boot from. Changing stuff in the BIOS wont actually change any data on any drives, so it sounds like to me you just accidently took the HDDs out of the boot order and thus its not checking it for an operating system (and in turn, obviously, not finding it)

And because I havent got to say this in so long (its been a long time since Ive poked around these forums)....

Welcome to THE forum!

thanks for the replies...how do i change the boot order when i can`t excess anything on my pc... I think i need some sorta boot disc, right? If so, which one do i need? I try to get into bios.. any key i touch the words " operting system not found keeps appearing" I noticed when i do turn on my PC it automaticly tries to boot up a diskette.

The boot order is in your BIOS...it tells the system where to look for operating systems in which order. Most computer systems check the CD-ROM drive first (unless you have a floppy drive), and then HDD second.

Hi enRON -

Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Evnas is absolutely correct.

Poke around in your BIOS until you find something like "Boot Device Priority", which is what my Asus mobo's BIOS calls it.

Sometimes, if you select a device that is not physically existent in your system, and make it higher in the boot order than your boot HDD, you may not boot at all. Perhaps you may have even changed the boot order earlier, so that your boot drive is not even displayed. If all else fails, you can temporarily make your boot HDD the highest priority (boots first), to verify you are able to boot w/o any problems.

I'd bet my bottom dollar, you have a boot order issue, caused by your poking around, earlier.

GL

u guys arnt listening..he cant get into the bios....assuming he really does know how to get into the bios, i would say he got the timings wrong and would need to do a cmos clear....

^^^

dze said:
u guys arnt listening..he cant get into the bios....

[...]
Ahhh....darnitt!

Heh - There goes my bottom dollar. :-/

Absolutely right, dze, somehow I missed that! :rolleyes:

Duh...

OK, right. He needs to reset the BIOS to default values by clearing.

Good catch. :beer:

Thx

yes, thats is correct i need to get into bios. I know how to get into bios.. but it won`t let me.. i`ve tried every thing. I believe i need some sorta boot diskette right? If so, which one.... so i can get back into the bios and change things around... or reset it.

thanks again people!!

its an eMACHINE.. that i have had for about 5 years. It has been runing flawlessly since i bought it. I`ve updated the OS to XP Pro added more RAM and installed a larger Hard Drive. I know it`s old... but this sucker has ran perfect for near 5 years!! I don`t have any XP boot diskettes.

I use mostly for music and surfing the net (ebay).

1GHZ
40 gb maxtor

enRON -

Did your comp's motherboard come with a manual? Look for something like resetting/clearing the BIOS.

This is usually done by removing a battery & changing a jumper on the mobo.

It will reset your BIOS to default or "safe" values, allowing you to enter the BIOS (or continue booting using normalized BIOS values).

.. I don`t think i have a motherboard manuel. If it did... i do have it bcuz i don`t throw anything away! I`m almost certain it didn`t come with one. I`m i doomed if it didn`t?

thanks again crew!!

Thanks... for all the help!! I took the mother board battery off and disconnected all other power source for an hour. Then, i replaced all the power source.. bios reset.. and detected all my devices.. Now, i`m good to go!! Thanks for the input.. crew!! Gonna go back-up my goodies now!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

If I remember rightly Emachines PC's have a password to get into them and they don't even give you it. My brother has a INTEL Celeron 2.3ghz EM PC tried getting into his but a password was required and get this his EM PC dosn't even show up on there website.

Didn't show up 3 years and still dosn't show up now.

Back