• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp pro shut downs slowing down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

I got windows xp pro sp2 and reacently my shut down time has increased alot. anyone know what could be going on with it? ort have this happen?

this is a good thread. i have seen this a lot and don't really know what to say. maybe there is a lot of background apps that need to be terminated??? im always trying to make windows startup faster by turning them off. not really sure how it affects windows when shuting down. i will be interested to see how this thread goes and what other people think. all i can say is that windows will take a few seconds longer for me if i dont exit trillian first, cuz then windows has to do it for me. maybe you have a similar problem with background processes.

Check out my thread here.

In short, I would do a chkdsk /f, disk cleanup, ccleaner, scan for spyware, uninstall uneccesary software, remove unneeded processes that start when windows loads through ccleaner or directly in the registry, and run a defrag. The article discusses on how to do these things but if you need extra help, send me a pm and we can talk through IM.

Cleaning up the registry helps alot as well. Slow shutdowns can be tied to several things. A bunch of programs running that need to shutdown, the page file being deleted, etc. Lotsa stuff goes on.

Back