• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouchies, hot ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
ok this didnt feel too good, lol. earlier today i was fiddling with my ram to try and get my fsb higher, and after running my computer for about 3 hours i turned it off and removed a ram stick and it burnt my finger :mad: i got a temp probe and tested the ram it was as hot as my cpu! :eek: 34c :confused: do you think i need heat spreaders on this stuff? lol

Don't know about the memory, mine doesn't get hot..

But that was funny! :D ===> "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product."

Yeah, I got the same ram you do and it does get pretty hot. Maybe its a thing with crucial because my old ram never got warm at all.:burn:

I think the rule of thumb is if it gets hot cool it! add a HS to your ram if its hot. As far as better quality of ram getting hot this would be the first ive heard of this [ive been running corsair and its very cool to the touch] allthough i do know if you raise VIO your ram will get hot.

i havent touched the ram voltage though. its running at its specs and its still hot. oh well
i got some heat spreaders and ramsinks for cheap ($5 per set :))
and im gonna get a fan to mount above the ram.

BigRed said:
i havent touched the ram voltage though. its running at its specs and its still hot. oh well
i got some heat spreaders and ramsinks for cheap ($5 per set :))
and im gonna get a fan to mount above the ram.

I believe that ThermalTake designs an active RAM cooler, complete w/ fan.

I believe that ThermalTake designs an active RAM cooler, complete w/ fan.
bleh, that thing looks flimsy and doesnt look like it would work very well. im just gonna make my own, im gonna get an L bracket and soder it to a heat spreader and then im gonna superglue a 80mm fan to it to blow down at the ram. heh
hmm im gonna activecool my ram. *has gone insane* :burn:

I know I was just kidding, you dont need the Heat Spreaders there a waste of time, just have good case cooling and put a fan blowing on the ram.
You could cut a hole in an un-used drive cage to enable more air (like a hole in a case to get rid of the grills...) and cable-tie a fan onto the bracket!

Back