• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4X512 vs 1x2GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, dual channel for instance. I would rather like to see the performance diff. between a 4x512MB setup Vs. a 2x1GB setup

I think what Douken was trying to say is you will get a performance hit in dual channel mode. Since there will be 4 sticks there vs the 2. Overclocking might not be as friendly either and I think you will be forced to run 2T aswell.

Considering the name of the topic (4X512 vs 1x2GB) Douken replied "correctly".
:)

In case the OP meant "4X512 vs 2x1GB":
4 sticks allows 4-way interleaving (perf gain). But usually it requires higher command rate, thus generally can be said that 4*512 will perform worse than 2*1GB

thank you Gautum, I was waiting for someone like you to weigh in. because it comes down to this I got offered 4X512 DDR2-4200 + 100GB IDE hard drive for an ASUS board. And seeing my 20in CRT TV is dying, I think I'll take the trade and invest in a nice HD LCD TV.

Gautum, will it run dual channel? Seeing its gonna run 2T anyway, is it worth it?

Yeah, it'll run DC for sure. I had a crazy hunch a while ago that 4x512 would kill everything else in performance because it could have 4 way interleaving, but I guess not. I had a couple of friends try 4x1 GB and 4x512 (since I only have 2x512 myself) and from what they told me both configs are actually slower than running two sticks by a bit, assuming everything is run at the same frequency and timings. :-/ I guess its putting some sort of stress on the NB that it isn't fully designed to cope with. However, the upside is that clocks do not seem to be hampered. It'll run as fast as the slowest stick. Now with that said, I'm waiting on a smoking deal from the classies and if it works out will run 4x512 myself because it'll be less of a hassle for me to just add the sticks on rather than swap everything out....I can live with the rather small losses. 2x1 GB will definitely be faster at the same speeds though. But it won't be an earth-shattering difference like the one you'd find on AMD from having to switch from 1T to 2T. If you're happy with the terms of the trade I'd say go for it.

Back