• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many processes do you run?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damenshon

I was just wondering how many processes you guys run. currently im running 66, which i think is alot for this computer to handle...

Kill some things that are running in the background that you don't need... Not only will it bring down that disgusting 66 count but it will free up some RAM too.

Currently I've got 48

50-60 but I run a lot of server services. My dual xeons are total overkill for what I do. I could probably have 200 services running and not see lag. I try not to install stuff I dont need. You won't find Quicktime on any of my computers.

i'm at a surprisingly low 37. i was expecting to be in the 60-70 range with all my crap going.

With my normal idle I see 19. Once I start doing things it goes up. I leave most things off until I have need of them. Then I simply turn them on.

I forgot, I leave Thunderbird running in the tray most the time, so actually I have 18.

Last edited:
Depends on whether I am in an OC session, lol.
On my Socket A rig day to day, I average between 31 and 35 depending on what apps I have open... when OCing only about 14-15.
On the AM2 rig (which is still on a fairly fresh install) I am around 25 typically.

IMO no machine aside from a server should have more than ~35 processes running when just browsing the web. Being in IT and having to clean people's computers at work all the time is how I have come up with that number.

-To lower this number, check your startup folder under programs and delete unnesseccary entries.
-Next, check (with regedit) HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run, export run, and then delete everything you feel you don't need.
-Same with HKCU/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run

Check the results with a reboot.

You can also disable services from the control panel, but you'll have to read elsewhere on which you want and don't want. This is a slightly more involved step in cleaning up your rig.

At home, with trillian running, teamspeak in idle, samurize and a few other things running, I probably have around 33 processes. Of course the value will change from computer to computer and user to user, but something like 60 is just insane. That needs to be managed.

44 but i have a bunch of looser crap from my G15 keyboard running as well as some creative crap, winamp, ffx, etc i could shut some of them down but it doesnt bother me or take up much in the way of resources so whatever.

eh, i'm at 50 right now on a p4 willamette 1.8ghz. and if i was still using that godawful mcafee i'm sure it would be well over 60. this computer folds among many other things, it doesn't feel slow at all. i keep my opty, presler and the pentium III rigs fairly streamlined, usually under 30.

39 currently, 19 of which are non-windows-related processes. :shrug:

Still got around 600mb available... need to move to 2gb soon though.

51 right now. I have torrents going, Firefox, AIM, Creative stuff, APC utility, Ati Tray, Kaspersky, and Windows Blinds. I also have services from Diskeeper, Windows Defender, my cd imaging software, and Logitech setpoint.

After Windows starts, I've got 27 processes running. But right now, I've got 30 (AIM, utorrent, and Firefox) running.

Back