• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3x512MB or 1T, which is the better choice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

I have two 512MB sticks of Corsair Value, and another 512MB stick of some Samsung Value ram.

I'm building a computer for my brother, with an Opty 165 and a ASRock DualSATA2 and a 6800GT on it.

Would it be a better idea to take the 3x512MB ram for 1.5GB of ram, or stick with 2x512MB to keep the 1T command? He mainly plays games and such, so I'd think the 1.5GB is a better idea. I could run benchmarks and such to see which performs better, but I'm wondering if anyones considered this first.

command rate does almost nothing in real world things, dual channel does a little bit.

I can't say, you should try both and see what gives best results, (theoretical) double memory bandwidth or 50% more RAM.
command rate does little in real world applications, in benchmarks it gives pretty large benefits but not in real world apps.

Back