• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explorer.exe in windows xp issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
my friend has xp home, and it seems explorer.exe is using 100% of the cpu all the time, only way to run anything is to set its priority to below normal, scanned with hijack, spybot, adaware, and cleaned it all out, ran o&o defrag and made it as fast as i can. But i did notice in safe mode that explorer.exe crashes everytime it runs in safemode, in normal windows it seems to run, my only guess left is it is corrupt and constantly reloading itself, and i need to find a copy of it and copy it into the same dir. any ideas?

edit,
i have xp pro, could i simple copy that version into hers?

I cant help you on fixing it,
But I had the same thng happen to me a little over a year ago, at the time I was running XP pro 32 bit no matter what I tried it would keep happening periodically,in the end I formated it.

And your friends key wont work with your copy, home vs pro,

well i meant was useing my explorer.exe inplace of hers, my xp pro over her xp home, it should be the same file, unless more is screwed up, i was going to recomend her reformated to pro anyways, but i dont have anymore legit keys... eh if anything i was going to have her install home again with her key or sfc.exe or just install over it.

Try and see if re-registering the explorer helps:

Run dialog | regsvr32 /i shell32

This should reset the explorer and may help. It will be easier then copying the file.

Use trendmicro Sysclean to scan, if there is a virus that will surely find it.

will try both and see, tried clamwin and man it was taking forever, going to try and regsrv it and see to, thx

explorer.exe is nothing but a simple "loader" for many many COM dlls. While copying your explorer.exe to hers would work, it won't solve the problem.

Most probably your friend has some malicious shell extension running which is hogging all the CPU. You could check in autoruns from sysinternal

yeah i got rid of most bad things in hikackthis, but maybe i need to install sysinternals on her machine aswell.. but the weird thing is in safe mode, explorer.exe seems to crash, everytime it load it crashes... this is what really got me worried, but in standard windows it seems to just hog cpu power...

cause in safe mode it won't load the malicious shell extension so the (bad) code it depends on in some other way is not there -> crash.

start>run>regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->MICROSOFT->WINDOWS->SHELL EXTENSIONS->APPROVED

Eaither paste the whole list here or paste any that look suspicious...

Enablingwolf said:
Try and see if re-registering the explorer helps:

Run dialog | regsvr32 /i shell32

This should reset the explorer and may help. It will be easier then copying the file.
tried this and it gave a file error thing saying something couldnt be loaded.,

You did this in Safemode or during a logged in session with privelages?

Did you happen to record the error? There is alot of somethings in windows. :D

You can check your error logs and see if it is there... It can help get you going or find out what its jamming up your explorer. Sometimes an over zelous spyware remove can cause issues in itself. Why it can be a good idea to reregister the dll's.

Right click My Computer | Manage | System Tools | Event Viewer | System

Just find the time you did this and deduce around when it happened. You can copy/paste the error if need be. When your looking at a error, just click the two pieces of paper looking things under the up and down arrows. Then you can paste it where you want it to end up.

Haha don't you love explorer.exe? Aren't all its quirks endearing? :) If your friend is interested in an alternative interface look for the desktop, you can always replace explorer with one of the VARIOUS replacements (for instance, and this is like 1 in 1000 examples, litestep). Either way, I'll be here sittin' back, sippin a pina coloda, and watching how your problem unfolds.

Back