• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr2-800 vs ddr2-1000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyisc00l

ok - sorry for 2 topics but I think they both deserved there own -

I was thinking about either A..spending $150 on some non-overclockable DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 ram...OR spending $245 and getting DDR2-800 ram that will overclock to at least DDR2-1050/1150 4-4-4-X timings...

my question is.. is it worth $90 to get ddr2-1050/1150 over ddr2-800? How big of a performance difference between the 2 anyone have a link ? thanks..

edit:

would someone be kind to test ddr2-800 4-4-4-x vs ddr2-1050 or higher 4-4-4-x in some gaming benchmarks !?!? I would love you forever...ughh no super pi please..thanks :p

Last edited:
I've never seen "non-overclockable" DDR2 RAM. What brand are you talking about? I suspect with a little more voltage, that RAM will O/C at least a little.

On Intel rigs, if you use the same FSB and are just raising the RAM speed by increasing the memory ratio, you will see a small performance gain. Certainly not as much as increasing FSB. Is it worth the extra cash? That's for you to decide.

I would say thats accurate. One factor you want to keep in mind is your cpu's fsb and overclocking. You want to be sure and get ram that can handle your FSB in a 1:1 ratio so you dont have to use a divider. The most important timing is the CAS latency (both were 4) but with a little extra voltage you may be able to get 3 out of it or possibly 2.5

The OCZ ram woudl probably a bit better of an overclocker, you can usually get a little tighter timings out of it in my experience with a little more juice.

Back