• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a video with Camtasia/fraps..no go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

So these last couple days, I've been trying to figure out what's up with my computer. Whenever I try to record, with camtasia or fraps, it completely bogs down and records at like 1.5fps. I don't get this, because I mean..my computer isn't terrible. I've also got a raptor hard drive now. I've tried recording it to the raptor, to my d:\, and it does the same thing. I mean, the game gets sluggish..but even if my game says it's running at like 25 fps, the record camtasia gets is stlil like 1fps. What gives.

I wonder if my computer just isn't fast enough, or if wow just takes too much, or what.. I talked to a guy who made a video, and he said he did it with a comp similar to mine.. 7200 hdd, 1g ram, amd64.. can't figure out where i'm going wrong here

oh yeah, I'm trying to record video of world of warcraft. ...yeah.

it seems like it's only with this game.. i wonder what the heck is causing it

Last edited:
I wonder if it isn't Windows 2000 that is the problem. I had problems with running games in Windows 2000 and finally had to move to Windows XP a few years ago.

What resolution are you trying to record at? I've seen plenty of fraps wow videos, but maybe your computer can't handle it? Heck, fraps stuttered for me when I used it to make a short cs clip...and that was from a replay, not live gameplay, on the half-life engine that is probably around 8 years old.

If you haven't tried yet, put resolution to 800x600 and see if that helps.

I haven't really had any problems with win2k thusfar.. but I just tried it in 800x600, same thing..2fps. I wonder if it has to do with this weird problem I've got now that I have like a new modem or something..it seems like when I boot up, it takes my computer like 30 seconds to run programs and connect to the net. It'll boot up, but then if I open programs, or try to go to a webpage..it won't do anything, then it'll burst all my actions at once after the 30 seconds. It only does it when it boots up though..I dunno. I wish I knew like some video editing site or something, but I couldn't find any populated ones

Turn Multisampling to 1x (that is, choose "24-bit color 24-bit depth 1x multisample"). I'd put $20 on that being your problem.

Back