• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual PC is now FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dunno but maybe is because of the AM2 virtualization?

I think I'll download it when I build my new rig, I want to try ubuntu, bu right now only 3.2GB left and maybe less in a week.

Last edited:
VMWare is worlds ahead of Virtual PC. But does any system support real virtualization. I'm talking a reset one os and the other is already booted. Like I can use linux while windows is rebooting

Yeah, but it's only useful if you paid the extra cash up front for XP Pro. That is, unless something has changed since I last read about Virtual PC.

VMWare > Virtual PC simply because it dosen't have a stupid "can't run on XP Home" restriction (though Virtual PC does have a number of very cool features!)

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong. I haven't tested it myself, but according to what I've been reading over at BetaNews, at least one person has sucessfully installed it on XP Home. w00tness :)

JigPu

Last edited:
Virtual PC also doesn't have a linux version does it? I know it will now run linux with in a session but i cant install VPC on linux and run windows, which is what i need.

Im already running VMware-server RC2 on my home server. It is running on Ubuntu 6.06, and in the session i have Windows Server 2003 running.

I was just making a small point of the limits of Virtual PC

Well I grabbed 'em both :D

I wonder if the host OS is XPproSP2, can I install older OSes like 98 or even wfw3.11/MS-DOS6.22 to run native DOS stuff?

Also since my nVidial 6600GT won't support anything before windows 2000 (no 98 drivers LOL), will it run anyway since the host OS can use all the existing hardware?

Not sure about VirtualPC, but VMWare will let you run pretty much any OS that needs an x86 CPU :) As for video, I'm pretty sure that the "video card" seen by the virtulized OS is a generic VGA-compatible. The same should be true for most of the virtual hardware.

JigPu

Audioaficionado said:
Well I grabbed 'em both :D

I wonder if the host OS is XPproSP2, can I install older OSes like 98 or even wfw3.11/MS-DOS6.22 to run native DOS stuff?

Also since my nVidial 6600GT won't support anything before windows 2000 (no 98 drivers LOL), will it run anyway since the host OS can use all the existing hardware?

Yes you can, I use it at work and what you do is create a virtual hard disk of any size that'll fit on your real hard drive and then you can install ANYTHING you want just as if it were a blank machine. I've got SUSE, Redhat, Fedora, XP and 2000 installed on 2GB virtual disks on my machine at work!!

dicecca112 said:
VMWare is worlds ahead of Virtual PC. But does any system support real virtualization. I'm talking a reset one os and the other is already booted. Like I can use linux while windows is rebooting

With virtualpc you can run multiple virtual systems at the same time. It runs within Windows

I haven't used VMWare before so I can't compare the two. I don't think virtualPC really competes with VMWare since virtualPC is more for developers. You would never run servers off it. I think MS's virtual server product is more of a competitor with vmware.

I have used Virtual PC since it was owned by connectivex and it is a very well developed product.

Now maybe I can run Vista over XP and have the sound work correctly LOL

The drivers for my AD1980 SoundMax chip don't work right in Vista. The sound is always skipping while in digital out to my digital receiver. Unacceptable :(

virtual PC's video implementation is utterly pedestrian. it will emulate up to an 8 meg S3 Virge Trio64, woohoo!!!! maybe enough to play starcraft at a decent speed.

i've had a dos 6.22/wfw 3.11 vm setup on virtual pc 2004 before and i was able to play some older dos games like blake stone but it was nothing like playing it on an actual dos machine, just felt kind of clunky...clunkier then real dos. wfw was stable until i installed tcp/ip and tried to network it... i was able to get online through virtual pc on every windows version i installed on it except 3.11...oh well, networking in ReactOS didn't work either but that's not virtual PC's fault. also redhat9, freeBSD, and knoppix all work great.

virtual pc is trick.

Hmmm...

No decent 3D support = lousy Vista eyecandy or linux XORG support.

However since nVidia doesn't have decent 3D driver support for FreeBSD anyway I might just play with that OS.

Virtual PC 2004 Sp1 cant use my old virtual drives.....That sucks. :bang head

Th extension changed from vhd to vmc...Why M$ Why?

:edit:

Nevermind...brainfart... Forgot about the vmc being a config file... :bang head :beer:

Last edited:
Back