• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of going w/ 2 gig dual channel OCZ Platinum PC4000...thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass19

Registered
I'm planning on picking up some OCZ5002048EBPE-K
OCZ Platinum Series PC4000 2 gig KIT Dual Channel RAM.

I currently have 4x512 running in 2T OCZ Gold PC4000 Edition. I'm trying to achieve at least a 2.6 overclock on my X2 3800+ Toledo..but so far I can only do:

HT = 5x
166 RAM = 333mhz.

If I go to 2.58...Super-Pi fails. I've tried everything I can think of to achieve my desired OC...no luck. So I started looking into some new RAM...read that my current RAM which has ...I think Hynix or something rather...isn't really good with AMD...and its deffinitly NOT easy to OC w/ 4x512 meg of RAM...not to mention I can only run @ 2T.

So...anyone try out this RAM before? OCZ5002048EBPE-K

Newegg has it for a good price..I can get it in 2 days....

opinions?

Perhaps 2.6 is more realistic with this RAM?

AN832-SLI mobo w/ 1205 BIOS
X2 3800+ Toledo Core
EVGA 7950GX2 at 580/1600
OCZ powerstream 520 PSU

blah blah...

You may want to take a look at this G.Skill ram. Many people have been having sucess with it on these forums, and it is cheaper than the OCZ.

BUT, there is a compatibility issue between it and my Asus A8V, so I would double check if your motherboard is compatible with it before devoting yourself.

the ocz ram relly rock.. month ago i bought some 2 gig dual channel ddr 500 plat and i was able to acheive 200Mhz more then the previous oc.. now im running 3.150 Ghz on my p4c

glass19 said:
HT = 5x

that might be your problem right there. You need to have that HT running at 3x if you are pushing your CPU that high...you're HTT is 257 minimum if you are at 2.57gHz.

I tried the HTT of 3x already. No good.

Im sure its my RAM thats limiting me...although i was told that I could achieve 2.6 with my type of RAM...but I have yet to achieve it...nothing seems to be working past 2.57...Ive tried everythign I can think of.

have you tried memtest, it will tell you within a few hours of testing if you got ram limitation or not...

Back