• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard monitor 5 fools my computer into thinking its overheated?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
i think motherboard monitor 5 is fooling my computer into thinking it is overheating, or maybe it is causing it to overheat, i dunno yet. when i start the program i see the cpu and case temps in the system tray and one says 55c, a couple seconds after starting mbm5 the computer shuts down. i have the bios to shut down at 60c (i think) so i understand why it is shutting down but i don't know why only that program is causing this behavior. :shrug:

other then the spike to 55+ when starting mbm5, cpu temps rarely fluctuate out of the 24-36c range from idle to double f@h instances load respectively. this is the pentium D system in my sig. if it means anything the same behavior with mbm5 happened on my opteron/biostar system. both scenarios the operating system has been xp x64 edition, perhaps that is the cause of the problem? kind of weird behavior, i'm going to try starting mbm5 up again but with everest also open so i can see if maybe its shutting the cpu fan off or something.

okay, i just tried it and as soon as mbm5 finished loading everest reported the cpu temp instantly jumped from 36 to 76c, and then the computer shut off. the cpu fan rpm stayed around 3300. upon reboot i went into the bios and the hardware monitor reported the cpu temp at 32c.

Last edited:
I have not had that issue on 32bit XP, so it may very well be the 64bit thats the problem. He stopped development on MBM5 before 64bit windows came out if I recall correctly.

Is MBM5 set to shut down your computer when it detects high temps... It's probably reporting them wrong and then shuting down your computer itself. Check the settings on mbm5

6ghztofreedom said:
Is MBM5 set to shut down your computer when it detects high temps... It's probably reporting them wrong and then shuting down your computer itself. Check the settings on mbm5

the bios is set to shut it down if the cpu temp gets too high (i think is set it at 60c). i agree that it probably is reporting the temp incorrectly because right after restarting and going into the bios it showed the cpu temp 32c. i doubt the cpu temp is dropping over 40 degrees celsius in a matter of a few seconds. it is weird how the everest temp instantly changed to 76c the last time i started mbm5 though, odd happenings. :shrug:

now this is even stranger...i had itunes running full visualizations last night when i went to sleep. i wake up and the computer is turned off. i press the power button and the post message says "System is overheat". i don't get it, this computer doesn't get warm like that. i wonder if this ECS board is starting to flake out or maybe i need to reinstall drivers. this thing is not overclocked one lick.

Last edited:
Back