• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For all you french speakers out here....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. that gives the most crappy result ever :) It's not as much the word correctness that im worried about, more the right forms and word order.

''hey, how are you enjoying your holiday? it's quiet over here but i hope that may change when you return. see you in a bit!

Is what i'd like to see in french :)

Bonjour. Comment allez vous appréciant vos vacances. Il est tranquille ici mais j'espère qui peut changer quand vous retournez. au revoir.

I don't speek that great of french but this is VERY close to what you want. Take care and good luck.
KF

Sjaak said:
''hey, how are you enjoying your holiday? it's quiet over here but i hope that may change when you return. see you in a bit!

Is what i'd like to see in french :)

I haven't spoken french in years, but here is my best shot:

Salut! J'espère que tu profiteras du temps des vacances! C'est bien tranquille ici, mais j'en suis sure que tous va changer avec ton retoure. A bientot!

I found ticktock's try a bit too literal and dry a translation. Mine, however, will contain a few grammatical errors, I'm sure. There are a few accents missing, too. There is an accent circonflexe (sp?) on the "u" in "sure" and "o" in "bientot". And an accent grave on the capital A.

May I ask to whom you're writing this? I don't correspond to anyone in french, but I know a friend who has a french friend that writes to her. He always opens or closes his letters in French, but writes some of it in English. I thought it was very cute to pepper your letter like that. But seeing how Tekko lives in Montreal, he will probably come up with a much better translation and wil hopefully not take too much joy in correcting my awful french ;)

"Bonjour, comment appréciez vous vos vacances? C'est tranquille ici mais j'espère que ça va changer à votre retour. Au revoir!"

ticktock123's take was good(made a few corrections) but was a very formal way of saying it. It would not be a good way of writing it to friend/family/person you know well but it would suit if you are addressing a stranger/person in autority/person you want to be polite and impersonal (distant) to.

"Salut! J'espère que tu profites de tes vacances! C'est bien tranquille ici, mais j'en suis sûr que tous va changer avec ton retour. À bientôt!"

Frodo take was also very good and again I made a few corrections and added the accents. This version would be best suited to person you are close to and familiar with(friend/family/person you know well).

As donation for my services I'll ask you to get one more PC Folding for team 32 either to your name or mine...:D

Let's just say that it's a person that i have...special...interests in, and i already feel like being able to use the informal version ;)

Thanks all!

Well, as you may have guessed, this was for a txt message i was going to send to a girl currently on vacation in france, and i wanted to do it in style, hence, in french. Got a rather positive reply today..once again, thanks for the help :)

Sjaak said:
Let's just say that it's a person that i have...special...interests in, and i already feel like being able to use the informal version ;)

Thanks all!

Well in that case you should have signed it the French way:

Sjaak
*Muah* *Muah*
xxx

What's the french equivalent to "kiss kiss", anyways?

Hey Tekko. Give me a a straight and simple answer to this question:

If you're not familiar with whether or not an object is masculine or feminine, which do you choose? So obviously it's "une femme" and "un homme", or "une petite femme", or "un grand homme". For example, how do you know (with reasonable certainty) that it should have been "Je veux acheter un billet" instead of "Je veux acheter une billet"...without consulting a dictionary.

What I mean is, if you had to guess.

Frodo Baggins said:
Hey Tekko. Give me a a straight and simple answer to this question:

If you're not familiar with whether or not an object is masculine or feminine, which do you choose? So obviously it's "une femme" and "un homme", or "une petite femme", or "un grand homme". For example, how do you know (with reasonable certainty) that it should have been "Je veux acheter un billet" instead of "Je veux acheter une billet"...without consulting a dictionary.

What I mean is, if you had to guess.
I took French a couple years ago.-scratch that-

Here is a good, simple article http://french.about.com/library/begin/bl_nouns.htm

Simple request and no simple answer Frodo. Even some word will confuse french speakers...but that article is good stuff.

Tekko said:
well I'm french canadian if that rocks your boat

French Canadian And french are very different...On french TV they have to put sub-titles when a French Canadian is speaking because not many people can understand the accent.

well it is considered by the international french community that french(France) have gethoed there own language, aside from there own not many people can understand then...

Back