• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Precautions On Conroe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
http://overclockers.com/tips00995/

I have another point to mention

Its seems like conroe also had Issues with certain RAID levels.
So for those of you that run RAID, you might want to ensure the level you plan on running is not going to be an issue.

True that all the issues have be with ES chips, we dont know yet if Intel has fixed this yet

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32842

Or just google:
Conroe raid problems
And have a look for yourslef

I particularly like this quote:

If AMD wants you to buy a system now on faith that they'll eventually give you a world-beater, they ought to give you more than vague words that guarantee nothing specific to show that your faith isn't blind.

When people give you just vague promises that promise nothing specific, you ought to think "they don't have the goods, at least not yet" until they show you otherwise. It's their job to show you, not your job to believe.

If they love you, then they'll show you. Make them justify your love.

I have been a huge supporter of AMD and still am. I have never bought an actual “Pentium” (1, 2, 3 or 4) and all my procs have been AMD after my Intel 486 with one exception.

The one exception was when AMD was having a big problem getting out their new tech and Intel put out the first Celerons. Their performance, price and over-clockability kept me from buying AMD for a little over a year.

AMD came back swinging and I started buying again. I hope Conroe will be the slap that AMD needs to get them back on track. Unfortunately for AMD, it looks as if I will be buying Conroe till then.

I am going to wait a few months, but I don't see AMD realisticly comming up with anything that will change my mind.

ed's gotten his madonna casettes out again...
at least it makes a good quote.

really- its good advice at a good time.
the article dosnt really pack a wallop, but its a good measured response to the hype.

FeralCom said:
I have been a huge supporter of AMD and still am. I have never bought an actual “Pentium” (1, 2, 3 or 4) and all my procs have been AMD after my Intel 486 with one except

Why should you support any CPU company? (Unless you have stocks)

Myself i am a Best CPU/Chipset of the day kind of guy.

P1 vs K6 = Intel wins
P2 vs K6-2/III = Tie, Intel wins Games, AMD wins Office (price also helped)
P3 vs K7 = Intel wins early on, as Via chipsets suck
P3 vs k7 = AMD wins due to nVidia entering the market
K8 vs P4 = AMD hands down
K8 vs Conroe = 90% sure Intel has this unless other bugs come up.

Remember the CPU companies dont love you, they love your money, so i see no reason to sacrifice money/performance for a certain brand.

If you look at Steve’s article today, that about sums up why I have been an AMD supporter. Generally, not only could I get a CPU with the same or even better performance, but at a lower price. I dare say AMD was a hero back in the day for a broke college kid desperately needing to upgrade his 486. Plus you have to add the hot competition it added fueling faster and cheaper procs from both companies.

No, I do not own AMD stock. You won’t see me standing on a hill waving an AMD flag. Heck, I have never even picked on someone for buying Intel like a good fanboy should. However, I can really say I have been appreciative of AMDs existence and this current failure is very disappointing.

FeralCom said:
I have been appreciative of AMDs existence and this current failure is very disappointing.

i wouldn't really call it a failure as I see it CPUs play leap frog per generation this generation intel is ahead but AMD will probably be ahead next generation

Right now Intel is having no problem talking about their Kentsfield chip, yet AMD is telling us really of nothing that great. Making me think Intel will most likly be ahead next round also. Anyway I am sure this will get worked out, though I think it's deffinatly something to keep and eye out for.

Last edited:
Kentfields have even been relesed into the wild in ES form already (the chips already exist and have been overclocked)
Some mobile C2D's were stamped 2002.. WTH is Intel holding back is the question.

Which is what I mean, Intel is not at all seeming shy of their upcoming chips, AMD on the other hand is a bit more unknown. Maybe Intel is hiding nothing, maybe they are seeing the first time in a long time where AMD cannot compete with them power wise and is using this to try and straight out crush AMD? Anyway with 45nm in the works I doubt we will be let down with whatever they come up with.

tenchi86 said:
Which is what I mean, Intel is not at all seeming shy of their upcoming chips, AMD on the other hand is a bit more unknown. Maybe Intel is hiding nothing, maybe they are seeing the first time in a long time where AMD cannot compete with them power wise and is using this to try and straight out crush AMD? Anyway with 45nm in the works I doubt we will be let down with whatever they come up with.

In a nut shell intel is a more responsible company

When intel has a winner they tell you
When intel has a lemon, the suger coat it

When AMD has a winner they bring out the cheer leaders
When AMD has a Lemon, the site silent

As we here nothing from AMD on the K8L front, i am willing to bet big they have a lemon, otherwise we would see the AMD cheer squad out by now

And for the record my lasrt 3 main system have been AMD

Back