• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing keycode without reinstalling XP??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apple Killer

Registered
I need to install XP Pro again as my university liscence is expiring and I have to buy another copy with a different liscence agreement.

I have NO desire to copy 170gb of crap to another hard-drive and reformat, then spend the next 2 weeks getting my computer setup how I like it again and reinstalling programs.

Is there some way to make it use the new keycode and liscence agreement without having to reinstall everything and redo all my settings? Never been down this road before and I don't even have any intellegent ideas :confused:
Thanks

Apple Killer said:
I need to install XP Pro again as my university liscence is expiring and I have to buy another copy with a different liscence agreement.
<snip>
Could you clarify that reason please? I have a university license as well and I was not aware that it would EVER expire. There was some sort of clause that said that the university had to notify Microsoft upon graduation so that my key would be graduated to a full license or something along that regard (I have to hunt that down for exact wording)... but I didn't think it would just exprie...

<edit>
8. What are the implications of graduating or otherwise leaving YSU? YSU students (full- or part-time) will own the license for the current product releases when they leave (or graduate from) YSU. To upgrade to new versions, get release patches, or receive support they must register ownership with Microsoft.
Because faculty and staff home use is tied to use at work, faculty and staff (who are not also YSU students) will not have rights to use the software after they terminate employment with YSU.
In general, the only restriction I found in the EULA is that I cannot sell my Microsoft software to others because of the discounted purchase price... However, that might be different depending on where you go...

Last edited:
gt24 said:
Could you clarify that reason please? I have a university license as well and I was not aware that it would EVER expire. There was some sort of clause that said that the university had to notify Microsoft upon graduation so that my key would be graduated to a full license or something along that regard (I have to hunt that down for exact wording)... but I didn't think it would just exprie...

<edit>

In general, the only restriction I found in the EULA is that I cannot sell my Microsoft software to others because of the discounted purchase price... However, that might be different depending on where you go...
the agreement with the campus' may not be the same thing. And the expiration could be forced by the university if they choose I suppose. maybe to try and curb piracy of their VLE keys.

You can to do a WinXP repair install.

First copy the files \windows\system32\wpa.dbl & wpa.bak to a floppy. Thee are your activation files. If you run into trouble, just copy them back and start again. Erase these two files.

Next, follow the "repair install" instructions in the link below:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html#1

You need to be able to boot into a CD version of WinXP that isn't OEM.

My liscence isn't expiring, per se, but my school ended their deal with Microsuck and switched to a MS Select agreement instead, which means we actually own the software when we buy it (at a steep discount :D)

Now if they hadn't emailed me on 6-31-06 when I was on an emergency trip out of state, to tell me it was expring 7-1-06...grrr I'm going to switch it over right now :D

Back