• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Organising files in highly cross-linked manner - best approach?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tiktok

Registered
Hi,

I have hundreds of files - some html saved from the web, some mp3s, some short movie clips, etc - that I need my students to have access to. I want to organise these files into their relevant categories - e.g. one file might be a news article that is relevant to Privacy, Politics, and Communications, so I want it to be found when the student looks under any of those three headings.

I could just make a series of directories and shortcuts, but that will break when i share the directory since MS shortcuts are hardcoded with the drive letter: there is no way AFAIK to make relative shortcuts. I could make a shortcut with the machine name but that will still break if I decide to burn the files to DVD.

HTML allows relative links but manually cross referencing all those files will be time consuming.

What I would really like is a system that lets me enter a few keywords for each file and then can produce a listing (a web page?) of all files pertinent to that keyword.

Any ideas of some (free?) software that could be used to achieve this? I know its not an easy request!

Back