• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update keeps applying this update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I have a laptop I didn't update in a while, a few months. So, I turn it on today for a quick update... 12 updates later and I'm ok... well, 1 more update... ok... 1 more update... ok... 1 more update... KB917537... 1 more update... KB917537... oh <expletive deleted>. System Restore... oh shoot, that update made a system restore every time it installed and removed all prior restore points.... :bang head

The update is installed... Windows Update thinks otherwise and keeps installing it over and over and over again... Automatic Updates does the same too... I tried uninstalling that update, reinstalling that update... no avail... I have some choice four letter words for this moment...

So, what can I do short of a repair install? Please tell me that there is something I can do... Please tell me that I didn't have an 11 month install go bad because of a freaking Windows Update!! :bang head

<edit> Removed swear word... I'm not happy and that got past me... </edit>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917537

The update applies clear up to 2003 actually.

I tried downloading the update and installing it in normal mode of Windows as well as safe mode... install succeeds and Windows still thinks I need that update...

Try creating a new blank text document... rename it asp.dll, and save it to the %windir%\system32\inetsrv directory. Windows will automatically recognize the file as corrupt, and extract a new asp.dll file from the %windir%\LastGood\system32\inetsrv directory. After the new file is extracted, let Windows Update install KB917537 again.

I would but that file isn't even in that directory to begin with...

You got me...

The directory does exist on my laptop install... but does not have that dll. Putting a blank dll there causes the update to fail. My main rig doesn't even have anything in that directory...

<update> The install failed so I removed my blank asp.dll.... and it was replaced with a normal asp.dll... and Automatic Updates has silenced itself... I guess it worked... ? </update>

<update 2> Nope... it's back... </update 2>

<update 3> (how many updates shall I do...) The asp.dll file is different from one I find in a subdirectory of downloads (the Windows Update?). The LastGood cached the blank file (oops). I'll let Windows Update try again.... successful install... let's see if it comes back now... nope, it's gone! Yay! </update 3>

Last edited:
Back