• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVI Video Clip player?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I downloaded some files described as .AVI Video Clip files, I've tried to run them on Windows Media Player, Divx Player, Real Player and Quick Time but none of these program recognise the files. Can anyone suggest a suitable player?

Thanks

its not a player you have a problem with it sounds like a codec problem, you may need to download a specific codec to play these files... a wide range of codecs are available from the following url

http://www.free-codecs.com/

Codecs are used to encode video streams. I recommend g spot for your needs- when you open an avi file with it it tells you which codecs are needed.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you have the correct codecs installed you can use any player, such as WMP, to play the video.

Kurz said:
NO TO CRAPPY CODEC PACKS!
www.cccp-project.net

OMG please Please dont install K-lite!
yeah GJ

The CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) is a filter pack specifically built for playing anime...

yet you say NO to crappy codec packs?

K-Lite is known thru-out the web as one of the best codec packs available... in fact CCCP is not anywhere near as known as klite, and i can probably bet is nowhere near as high of quality or has as many useful codecs as you need.

Its not a crappy Codec Pack... Infact K-lite actually bundled CCCP with their pack previously. Trust me I doubt you'll need all that crap that comes with K-lite, like the ad ware called BSplayer...

CCCP supports most of the codecs on their list via their ffdshow.
So what if its for anime? The encoders for fansubs are pioneers in many Video Encoding formats, hence the need for a CCCP.

At 6 Megs its a feather weight compared to the gross slapped together K-lite.

Try it.

So there you go.

P.S. Since ffdshow is put in with K-lite, Uninstall K-lite before installing CCCP. Or you may have conflicts.

Kurz said:
Trust me I doubt you'll need all that crap that comes with K-lite, like the ad ware called BSplayer...
see thats where your fully wrong... BSPlayer is not bundled with k-Lite, in fact theres' 3 different versions. The basic (playback for most codecs) the standard (playback for alot of the codecs) and the full which is based towards editors and coders and such.

Kurz said:
At 6 Megs its a feather weight compared to the gross slapped together K-lite.
theres where your wrong again. a feather weight at 6megs? hmmm how bout you check the size of klight standard again, and than check the size of light also :)

light is only 1.35megs and standard is only 6.3megs

so CCCP is only 5.6 megs.. yeah so what?

CCCP player is bundled with....

Zoomplayer? lol dont make me laugh.. VLC will beat that hands down, oh look you have to pay for zoomplayer if you want the better version lol, Media Player Classic? sure klite has it too.. hmmm you got MPEG2 encoder, VSFilter, Windows Media 9 VCM, Haali media splitter, and FFDShow...

wow all that in a 5.6meg file...

now lets see,

Player:
- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.9.0]
DirectShow video filters:
- CoreAVC [version 0.0.0.4]
ffdshow:
- ffdshow [build 2006-04-22]
VFW video codecs:
- Windows Media 9 VCM [version 9.0.1.369]
DirectShow audio filters:
- Vorbis (CoreVorbis) [version 1.1.0.79]
DirectShow source filters:
- MP4 splitter (Gabest) [version 1.0.0.3]
- MP4 splitter (Haali Media Splitter) [build 2006-02-25]
- Matroska splitter (Haali Media Splitter) [build 2006-02-25]
- Ogg splitter (Haali Media Splitter) [build 2006-02-25]
DirectShow subtitle filter:
- DirectVobSub (a.k.a. VSFilter) [version 2.37]
Tools:
- GSpot Codec Information Appliance [version 2.52 beta 1 build 2004-09-15]
- Sherlock [version 2.0]
- VobSubStrip [version 0.11]

which is actually better than the 3 codecs in that CCCP pack.. what about mp4 files? xvid files? hmmm theres' haaili, theres media player classic, media player 9 vcm,

all CCCP seems to be is a totally stripped down codec pack for a few type of movies. now io bet you that with the 1meg more file you can get easily get alot more playback than CCCP

Last edited:
Ah I see...
Free-codecs.com

This is where I based the size and features on.
http://www.codecguide.com/

But, before you claim I am wrong and slap me with a trout again. Try CCCP.
Xvid is supported as is mp4

BTW CoreAVC 0.0.0.4 Has a bad deblocker, and its pretty glitchy given its an Alpha verison.

Kurz said:
Ah I see...
Free-codecs.com

This is where I based the size and features on.
http://www.codecguide.com/

But, before you claim I am wrong and slap me with a trout again. Try CCCP.

BTW CoreAVC 0.0.0.4 Has a bad deblocker, and its pretty glitchy given its an Alpha verison.
how many times is CCCP updated with new codecs?

im not tryin to slap anyone with a trout, im just stating the fact that a codec pack built for mainly anime is not gonna stand up to a codec pack built for all types of files.. ill give it a try, i have tons of file types that i cant wait too see if it plays em :)

btw CoreAVC hasnt cause me a problem yet :) altho i doubt ive used it :/ lol

CoreAVC is for the new h.264 Format, In some files its speeds up the video.
Sometimes the Deblocking is crappier than hell. Though the Final verison is actually pretty good (though since you have to pay for it... its not in K-lite).

Date is in the file name May 1st was the last time it was updated.

OK, I've downloaded, installed and tried all the program suggested yet I still can't view the files, maybe I just didn't have them set up right? They are of an 80's anime series.

I hope you read my PS...
Dont install them all at the same time.
Keep one or the other.

maybe you should consider reading the posts in a thread before replying Bios24.

mplayer will play just about everything i've thrown at it, with the exception of google video files. Codecs don't even matter with this program either.

Used to be Linux only, now its windows compatible too.

www.mplayerhq.hu

:beer:

Back