• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Disable Dish Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0aH

Is there a way to disable that check that windows sometimes does on that blue screen before it boots windows and it says " one or more of your disks needs to be checked for consistency"?

thanx
n0ah

EDIT: Title is supposed to be DISK

klingens said:
Why do you want to disable it? do you like file system corruption and data loss?

because this is the 3rd time that when i boot my pc, it comes up and deltes every dam file that i have...

Perhaps your hard drive is failing?

I would be somewhat worried if I got the checkdisk boot screen thingy over and over again.... You might want to check your SMART status on your hard drive, just to be sure...

Could be my HD...but my comp always works fine untill that screen comes up and destroys everything

1. On a command line, type "fsutil dirty query C:"
2. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 3
3. Next type "chkdsk C: /f /x"
4. After that finishes, repeat step 1.
5. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear.

If this fails, type/paste
Code:
chkntfs /x c:
in the run line.

These procedures assume that C: is the drive in question

Disabling Chkdsk - Windows 2000 and XP

1. Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)

2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:

\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

3. Change the BootExecute entry to:

autocheck autochk *

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

(Link)http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/disable-scandisk-chkdsk.htm
Also yes it very well could be your harddrive. Sounds to me a very much like a bad hdd is signaling Windows to start up chkdsk, which in turns finds bad sectors and marks them as bad or as your concerned deletes them. Anyway this is all on the assumption this is chkdsk running. Honestly I have not run the program myself in a very long time so I don't really remember the message it gives. I would give this app a try; http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=3 (datalife gaurd)

tenchi86 said:
Disabling Chkdsk - Windows 2000 and XP

1. Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)

2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:

\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

3. Change the BootExecute entry to:

autocheck autochk *

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

(Link)http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/disable-scandisk-chkdsk.htm
Also yes it very well could be your harddrive. Sounds to me a very much like a bad hdd is signaling Windows to start up chkdsk, which in turns finds bad sectors and marks them as bad or as your concerned deletes them. Anyway this is all on the assumption this is chkdsk running. Honestly I have not run the program myself in a very long time so I don't really remember the message it gives. I would give this app a try; http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=3 (datalife gaurd)

The link is already " autocheck autochk * "

You didn't mention whether or not you already tried hafa's suggestion, but if scheduling chkdsk to run (from the command prompt within the GUI) on next boot didn't clear the dirty bit then try this...

Open Explorer and right click the volume that Windows is installed to (and / or the volume(s) that chkdsk is running on) | Select 'Properties' | 'Tools' tab | Error-checking-->'Check Now' button | Under 'Check disk options', put a check next to 'Automatically fix file system errors', and click the 'Start' button | A disk check dialog will pop up asking if you'd like to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart your computer...select Yes | OK out of the Disk Checking windows, close Explorer, and restart your PC. I've found that this procedure, as opposed to running chkdsk from the command prompt, normally overrides the dirty bit.

i tried hafas method and it said that it was not dirty. There is not dirty bit now i just need to disable it

I see no reason too.. it doesn't destroy your data either, and if it is, then its most likly your hard drive failing. Although try converting your filesystem to NTFS if it is FAT32.

Chkdsk shouldn't delete everything like that, but bad sectors might do it. Definately check your hdd S.M.A.R.T. status (make sure it's enabled in bios if there's a toggle for it) with Everest Home Edition or your hdd manufacturer's utility.

... It is chkdsk that i see going through and deleting everyone of my files... I just wanted to see if anyone here knew how to disable it but everyone just wants to say " you dont need to" even though i know that is the problem...

n0aH said:
... It is chkdsk that i see going through and deleting everyone of my files... I just wanted to see if anyone here knew how to disable it but everyone just wants to say " you dont need to" even though i know that is the problem...

As was mentioned previously, chkdsk does not delete files. Sounds almost like some kind of virus/malware running on startup.

Regardless of the cause of this issue, if you've any important files on the drive, it would be prudent to put your drive in another computer/external enclosure and backup the files before proceeding to check for nasties.

n0aH said:

it also might be pebkec.exe doing it too. What we are saying is chkdsk doesn't do it. Not "You don't need to".

Back