• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS to shut down windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-maddog-

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

Boy am I ticked if this is real. Pirate windows sales are sure to skyrocket. People will just buy cracked copies. If you keep your pc off the internet or monitor all web traffic, not go sp3, and don't get any wga software will your pc be safe?

Apparently from what I read elsewhere MS is dropping all its WGA tricks since they are getting sued out of every orifice at the moment. Who knows though. That was definiatly their original plan, to shutdown windows so it wouldnt let you logon anymore.

yeah, this came out a couple weeks ago.

As usual, the copyright copiers will simply bypass it, and it will affect the legit people.

And people shouldnt call them "pirates", they are not pirates, real pirates still exist in this day and there is a significant difference. :)

Those GA updates were easily unchecked from my list of installable updates...thena quick check in "never ask again" and all was well.

Seemed easy enough.

Just pay attention to what is being installed on your computer. Seems like this would solve many virus/adware/spyware problems in addition to this stuff.

jivetrky said:
Those GA updates were easily unchecked from my list of installable updates...thena quick check in "never ask again" and all was well.

Seemed easy enough.

Just pay attention to what is being installed on your computer. Seems like this would solve many virus/adware/spyware problems in addition to this stuff.
the point is not that you can't choose to install them or not, the point is that in the very near future if you choose not to install WGA, your system will become unusable after 30 days until you install it.

fun fun fun. Guess we get to start checking laptops that we get back fromrepair shops. weee.

pik4chu said:
the point is not that you can't choose to install them or not, the point is that in the very near future if you choose not to install WGA, your system will become unusable after 30 days until you install it.

fun fun fun. Guess we get to start checking laptops that we get back fromrepair shops. weee.

OK, I just scanned through the article....but how is that even possible? The WGA comes as an update....if you don't take the update then how can it possibly change your system to make it unusable after 30 days? Seems that only if you take the update and then don't let it connect to authenticate, no?

I see where it says: "If WGA becomes mandatory, would it mean that Microsoft could prevent Windows from working if it determines – possibly erroneously – that your copy isn’t “genuine”? That’s a chilling possibility, and Microsoft refuses an easy opportunity to deny that that option is in its plans."

But that's still only if you allow it to download the update. So worst case, I no longer get updates. (When I say I, I mean whomever may have an in-genuine copy, not me of course. :) )

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jun06/06-08wgaqa.mspx said:
Q: WGA Notifications is pre-release software that is distributed through Automatic Updates. Is this a change in Microsoft policy around pre-release software?

A: No, this is not a change in policy. We understand customers’ concern about installing a program that could possibly impact their systems. WGA Notifications has gone through a thorough testing period. We are confident that the software can be installed and used safely. It is important to note that the pilot process is primarily testing the end-to-end delivery mechanism and we will continue to incorporate customer feedback in order to ensure the best possible user experience when WGA Notifications launches worldwide before the end of 2006.

As with any pre-release software, WGA Notifications is optional for customers. There is no penalty for opting-out; customers who choose not to install WGA Notifications will still receive high-priority updates delivered via Automatic Updates. We hope that genuine Windows customers will find WGA Notifications easy to use and unobtrusive, and will enjoy knowing that they are running a genuine copy of Windows.

I wonder if that Bold-Underlined part gets changed when it becomes release software?

everytime you turn on your comp - windows will call home - if it cant call home, or finds something not installed, it locks the license to an expiration of 30days (like a fresh install that is not activated yet)

For all you know this options is already in windows and always has been.

This article is interesting, but beyond that I don't see how M$ could possibly make an update that will automatically deactivate windows...it would have to be installed first to do that, or a previous update that had that functionality silently built into it.

Even if it is rolled into sp3, there are still plently of ways to find the 3, or 4 dlls, and exes that need to be removed, and maybe a registry fix, or two. I am not knowledgable in programming, but if it can be made, it can also be unmade. The unmaking is usually a whole lot easier too :eek:

M$ and their retarded nature will always be around, but there will always be kind hearted hackers that will swoop in and save the day. :beer:

Can they legally "silently" install anything on your computer? I can't believe it is. The only way this thing would be coming is the way they have been pushing it already. Through updates that are "WGA notification"

I smell Uber-lawsuit! Frig this is frustrating. They are treating legit customers like criminals now. MSDNAA used to be something I looked forward to during the year. Now I can't stand the fact that I have windows products on my machines. I'll soon be fixing that if this comes into play.

just make sure u have a legit copy. simple. its cheap enough. no problems there then. without windows we wouldnt even be typing here, its only £58 here for home. no computer should be without a legit copy.

yeah it's farily cheap now that it's at the end of it's life....but when Vista comes out...how much are they asking for that? Probably like $200-$300? That's ridiculous, in my opinion. At least ole BIll Gates is using those BILLIONS of dollars for philanthroic purposes. (or at least some of it)

Last edited:
[SaS]hornet said:
just make sure u have a legit copy. simple. its cheap enough. no problems there then. without windows we wouldnt even be typing here, its only £58 here for home. no computer should be without a legit copy.

My lapyp has a legit Pro key and yet I had to show MS proof that I bought it to activate. Does that mean that my copy isn't legit? No. Its their process. So if WGA decides that it isn't legit as well, then thats bad. LEgit or not, its an issue.

redwraith94 said:
This article is interesting, but beyond that I don't see how M$ could possibly make an update that will automatically deactivate windows...it would have to be installed first to do that, or a previous update that had that functionality silently built into it.

Even if it is rolled into sp3, there are still plently of ways to find the 3, or 4 dlls, and exes that need to be removed, and maybe a registry fix, or two. I am not knowledgable in programming, but if it can be made, it can also be unmade. The unmaking is usually a whole lot easier too :eek:

M$ and their retarded nature will always be around, but there will always be kind hearted hackers that will swoop in and save the day. :beer:

This is MS, they probably have a back door (probably will be exploited by hackers eventually). A little off topic, remember when MS stopped supporting older versions of windows, they mentioned a huge security exploit. Probably trying to force everyone to upgrade. Was that put in intentionaly?

any secret backdoor would surely mean a huge lawsuit. I highly doubt that's the case. I'd bet my pants that the only way they will install this check is through auto updates. My friend installed it without even looking, and I'm sure many/most other will too or already have. For people intelligent enough to watch what goes into their computers, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

-maddog- said:
This is MS, they probably have a back door (probably will be exploited by hackers eventually). A little off topic, remember when MS stopped supporting older versions of windows, they mentioned a huge security exploit. Probably trying to force everyone to upgrade. Was that put in intentionaly?

Doubtful. I read an article several months ago regarding the FBI trying to get Microsoft to add a backdoor into Vista for investigative issues and Microsoft basically told them off. Not to mention if they add their own one in, it'd be asking for a huge lawsuit.

Also, this whole WGA thing. I understand that Microsoft is trying to protect their investments. Who wouldn't want to? It's like saying investors shouldn't be protecting their investments. The only thing is, Microsoft better make sure it doesn't shut down legal copies in the future if this all falls through. Besides, people who actually don't have legal copies should go buy a legal copy.

Back