• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

faster mem has lower timing at lower speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech2487

does faster mem always have lower timings at lower speeds?

im thinking hard about getting new memory. i want to replace my 4 sticks of 256 hyperX with just 2 sticks like i used to have.(chipset was cooler that way). and at the same time i figure i might as well upgrade to 2 gigs. simple right? well i have been comparing a lot of prices, timings, speeds, brands, etc.. i want to get something that is faster then 400 just because i figure it will be better. but the ddr500 is a lot cheaper then the 433, but i don't like the high timings. USUALLY when ram runs at a lower speed then it was intended, it has lower timings as well. but how do i know that will be the case here? <<<< my main question. OR should i not worry about faster mem and stick with regular ddr400?

im not in any rush to get new mem. just something on my todo sometime list ;-)

i have my eye on these patriots. i used that brand b4 and had a lot of luck. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220082

and here is the ddr500 for a little less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

also, im not an OC'er but a performance freek. i like my pc quick!

Last edited:
Well, tighter timings will get you better performance than higher clocks. One of the biggest reasons you would want to go with DDR433+ memory is to be able to overclock the proc. If you're looking for a pair of 1GB mods I would suggest the OCZ platinums like those that I have. 2.5-3-2-5 1T timings at DDR440.

What are our system specs?

Are you planning on upgrading the rest of your system anytime soon?
(& using these "new" sticks in your system)

You don't wanna buy something today, only to upgrade everything else later & end up going with a different memory.

Just some things to look at.

:attn:

GA-8IPE775-g
Intel 865PE
Intel 530 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB
(current) 1GB(4x 256mb) kingston hyperX in dual channel mode.
xfx 6600GT

not planning to upgrade anytime soon and dont plan on taking parts out of this system when i do.

Well if you need the high clocks then go ahead and pick up some DDR500 but if you dont then you could just settle for DDR400 with some tight timings that will OC to DDR433+.

soulfly1448 said:
Well, tighter timings will get you better performance than higher clocks. One of the biggest reasons you would want to go with DDR433+ memory is to be able to overclock the proc. If you're looking for a pair of 1GB mods I would suggest the OCZ platinums like those that I have. 2.5-3-2-5 1T timings at DDR440.

That also depends partly on what kind of system it's going in to. AMD systems are usually more sensitive to timings, a change in timing will often have as much or even more impact than increased speed, while (NetBurst) Intels love the bandwidth of higher frequency even if the timings aren't as good. That's been my experience at least, firsthand with the Intel and friends or reviews for the AMD.

Back