• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copying windows install to a new drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Ok so I got a new HD because I'd been using an old one temporarily after my previous main drive decided it didn't want to take a new windows install. What I want to do is migrate my exact windows install to the new drive without going through a fresh install, update, activation etc. I did a search and found this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=457665

but it's a little brief in its descriptions. Are the various programs mentioned there capable of doing what I want? If not what can anyone recommend to do this, and is it even a good idea or do I have to do a fresh install:( ? Thanks.

It looks like the easiest option is to use Seagate's Discwizard. It has an option to install 'As the boot drive removing the old drive from the system.' This is probably pretty simple stuff but I've never done it before and don't want to mess up :) So should I just use the Seagate utility?

^^^ that is on

basically you need to "ghost" the drive.

Norton Ghost
Acronis True Image
Or your drive software if included.

I would read up on the details of that seagate program.

Back