• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE HELP!!! Corsair XMS2 6400 or 8500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[UCF]YellowDart

Registered
Now a days with all the new architectures and AM2 setup and HTT technology I really dont know what is more important. Tighter timings, or higher frequencies.

I know in my mobile barton setup it was just FSB, FSB, FSB.

I dont know whether or not to buy the Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Memory with 3-4-3-9 timings or the PC8500 with 5-5-5-15.

1066mhz is a crazy memory frequency, but 5-5-5-15 timings are about as high as they get.

For todays gaming market and the way AM2s are designed, would gaming see a higher benefit with the tighter timings or with the higher frequency?

Thank you very much, I have been researching this for about 2 weeks and just dont know what to do.

Sidenote: I know that on guru3d they used the foxconn motherboard with the 8500 memory and the EPP bumped the X2 4000+ from 2.0ghz right to 2.6ghz. I am not sure if this would happen with the 6400 memory aswell.

Most of the time higher speed-rated memory can run tight timings at lower speeds. It may not be true for those specific modules but as a general rule of thumb it usually is. Try doing some searches for details on the two types, it's very possible they are essentially the same thing just rated differently.

Save some cash and consider the 2x1GB Corsair PC6400C4 XMS2 Extreme 5,5,5,12 may not be as fast but you will get a 4000/4200 to 2.6 with them. I snagged up some cause DDR2 is gonna drop more I would not plunk down $450+ for a 2Gb kit not a chance. The stuff is getting better and better, plus the C4 had decent reviews and works very well with the M2N32 SLI Deluxe 590 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

Back