• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have two 2GB kits, which one for my E6700 ES?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Igor01

Registered
Hi guys,

I have built a new system with an E6700 ES and ASUS P5W DH, it's complete except for the Nvidia 7950 GX2 that should arrive shortly, until then I can't test high well the CPU overclocks. The E6700 is an ES Stepping 4 QLLO chip with the multiplier unlocked from 10 down. I will be using air cooling only with the Scythe Ninja heatsink and a 120MM fan, the system is housed in an Antec P180 case. I plan to use the E6700 for at least a year until there's a siginificant upgrade option like a higher clocked Kentsfiled for example becomes available.

I have two 2GB kits of RAM, both are the OCZ Platinum XTC series, one is the PC2-6400, the other is the PC2-8000. I can use either one for the system and sell the other, which one should I keep?

I suppose the superfast PC2-8000 is not a must with this particular CPU as it's unlikely to reach even 4GHz (10x400) on air. However since I've been out of the overclocking game since the early Northwood days and still not very clear on whether I can run the RAM faster than FSB and if this will give me a significant benefit performance-wise I wanna ask the more knowledgeable people here what in their opinion is the best option:

1. Should I run the RAM at 1:1 in which case the 6400 seems enough?
2. Should I run the RAM at a higher ration (if this is even possible) and would the 6400 still be enough for that?
3. Should I keep the 8000 instead to accommodate some future upgrades that might require higher FSB and how likely is such a case scenario?

Any input is much appreciated!

The Conroe seem to love high memory clocks. If you can do 10X400, then the PC2-6400 will easily do that at the 1:1 ratio and maybe with a little extra voltage give you better timings. But personally, I'd be tempted to keep the OCZ PC2-8000 if I already had it in my hands. Yes, you can run the memory faster than FSB and yes this will give you a little bit more performance, not a lot, but it will really impress your friends and look good in your signature. So, if you can crank that system up to 375 FSB and use the 3:4 ratio, then that will give you DDR2-1000. Oh yeah (drool)!

Back