• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista less stable than xp ?? - vista security analysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm two things.

the site above said:
The Symantec team are careful to note that their tests were conducted on beta code, designed for testing purposes.
the same "the beta has bugs" ....duh
same site said:
Researchers also looked for the susceptibility of Windows Vista to well known attacks, fixed in previous versions of Windows.
but they did not say they were successful in finding any faults. Atleast the test is comprehensive I suppose. I do like how they mentioned that they probed for "undocumented behavior" lol.

2. Im sure this 'bashing' of windows has nothing to do with MS' plan to release an antivirus program (i.e. trying to push symantec out of the market) /sarcasm.

Symantec has been trying to prevent Vista from coming out. They are going to lose business from it. Also, Vista is beta, of course it has bugs that make it less stable. Check out Paul Thurrot's article on the latest vista release, 5365 which came out after beta 2 cpp. http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5365.asp He notes that it is much more stable than beta 2. Also, Vista is pretty much feature complete. Microsoft is currently working on cranking out the bugs and getting the performance to be top notch. This is not to mention that once DX10 cards come out, performance will be a lot better as well. Also, hardware manufacturers and software manufacturers haven't yet begun tailoring their software to Vista. The same thing happened when XP was nearing release. People kept saying they were gonna stick with 2k because XP was not stable, slow, and buggy. Now look...

IT IS A GOD DAM BETA!! my god people!
Hey Symantec, release some beta's to the public! see how you do.

OH wait, how many times does your final retail software NOT stop viruses? NOT stop hackers?

Yeah, thas what i thought.

Haha taking advice from a company that can't produce a decent product themselves is not something I usually do. Nice post but I take the article to be basically worthless.

In my last post, I said there was a review on the 5365 build which was the next build after beta 2. Paul Thurrot (Writer for Windows IT PRO) said it is a much better build than beta 2. Just now, a new article came out on Slashdot with a review with the latest build, 5472. The writer critizised earlier builds but says this build is much better. You can check out the article here http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001888

It looks like Vista is coming along nicely. It still has many months before it gets releases and since Vista is feature complete, they're going to start making it nicer and nicer, more stable, and faster. This includes performance, install times, and boot up times.

I'm sure that once Vista gets to release (gold) status, it will be a rich product.

"I'm sure that once Vista gets to release (gold) status, it will be a rich product."

and cost a lot of money

I am so close to going open source exclusivly. Right now I have almost everything I need t be MS$ free, Including vpn to my work network and run the apps I need to support my servers. And what I can't do on my nix box, I have the free vmware server, in which I can launch a winboxen if need be.

I'm glad someone like Symantec has done a security analysis on Vista. Hopefully M$ will take notice and fix the issues identified. I don't see it as a bad thing at all really.

Binny.

Back